Matthews Underclass Teaching
Eligibility: All faculty ranks, including lecturers, are eligible for this award. Nominees cannot have received this award previously.
Evaluation Criteria: The Matthews Underclass Teaching Award honors significant contributions to the teaching of first- and second-year students in Mathematics, History and Modern Languages, broadly interpreted. This award recognizes faculty members who are enthusiastically interested in and highly dedicated to undergraduate education. Nominees will be considered on the basis of their outstanding contributions to teaching, the intellectual rigor of their courses, and their ability to inspire a sense of wonder and excitement in their students.
Calendar for Submission and Evaluation of Nominations: A call for nominations is sent out in mid-January each year, with nominations accepted until mid-to-late February. An advisory committee and the Dean select the award recipient, who will be announced in May. The successful nominee is presented an award of $1000 at the beginning of the following academic year.
Departments with fewer than 30 FTE faculty may nominate up to two individuals; departments with 30 or more may nominate up to three. Please include the following for each nominee:
1. Brief supporting statement from Chair, Associate Chair, or Director. Please limit the length of this to no more than one page (single-spaced, standard font and margins).
2. Enrollment and grading data for all first- and second-year courses that the nominee taught for the past two years—that is, please complete the attached table for each nominee. Average grade and enrollment data are available from the LSA Management Information System. (Any questions about access and use of MIS tools should be directed at Rob Wilke, firstname.lastname@example.org.)
3. Teaching evaluations for all first- and second-year courses that the nominee has taught for the past two years. Please do NOT include student comments, but only the “Instructor Report.” If any student comments are particularly illuminating, we suggest you make reference to them in the Chair/Director’s supporting statement.
4. (Optional) Letters of support from up to two former students of the nominee, who took a class from the nominee while they were in their first or second year. Each letter should be limited to no more than one page (single-spaced, standard font and margins). The nominee should be given the option of requesting these letters of support directly from students of his or her choice.
5. (Optional) Up to 5 additional pages of write-ups from faculty peer evaluations / classroom observations of the nominee, or similar supporting documentation.
All submissions should be in electronic form. Paper submissions will not be accepted. Each nomination should be sent as a SINGLE PDF file to Associate Dean Angela Dillard (email@example.com) and Cameron Gibelyou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please title the PDF file “Matthews Award, [Nominee Name], [Name of Nominating Department]”.
Table from #2:
|Semester||Course||Enrollment||E&E Q1 Score||E&E Q2 Score||Average Grade in Course|
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Events and Communications Support
- Expect Respect
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSA IT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- LSA Administrative Forum
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- Academic Initiatives
- Awards for Undergraduate Teaching
- Individual Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- Department Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- Matthews Underclass Teaching
- Imes and Moore Mentorship
- Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award and John Dewey Award
- Excellence in Concentration Advising
- Ruth M. Sinclair Memorial
- Curriculum Committee
- Faculty Resources
- Student Services Resources
- Student Recruitment
- Staff List
- Unit Administrators