Click here to see the rubrics your instructor will use to grade your essay. This will give you a clearer idea of what to strive for in terms of content and language. For this first essay, we will be interpreting the rubrics for the essay contents generously. We are ONLY expecting you to produce the content described in the prompt below!
- 125-150 Wörter
- Please DOUBLE SPACE your essay!
- Please give a word count for your essay (z.B.: Wortzahl: 135)
- Leaf through the book to look for ideas: you can be very creative with the language we've learned so far! [Do this when you prepare your test essays, too!] Try to avoid saying things you haven't learned the German for yet.
- ==> Just use the present tense!
- See the specific suggestions below describing things we have learned how to say!
- Do NOT write your essay in English and then translate it into German: this is very hard work, and produces very poor results!
Write one paragraph about yourself AND one paragraph about one of your friends or family members. Don't worry at this point about producing a great piece of writing; just focus on clearly communicating some things about yourself and the other person. Ideen:
- Describe yourself; describe him/her; say what you (don't) like to wear [==> tragen] and what s/he likes (doesn't like) to wear [just name one or two simple items; feel free to lie to keep it simple - e.g. Jeans, Shorts, Turnschuhe, Flip-Flops, T-Shirts, Panchero's T-Shirts, Pullis [=sweaters], Baseballkappen]
- What do you like to eat/drink? What does s/he like to eat/drink? [ich esse gern X, aber ich esse lieber Y; er/sie isst viel X, aber er/sie isst nicht so viel Y...]
- Say some things you do / things you like to do, and some things s/he does / likes to do, using verbs like fahren, sprechen, spielen, hören, lesen....
- Say some things you or s/he know(s) (or don't know / doesn't know) a lot about [==> Ich verstehe (nicht) viel von _____; Er/Sie versteht (nicht) viel von _____]
- If you can think of something fun/funny to say about yourself or about him/her using the German we've learned so far, that might be a good way to end each paragraph.
For Aufsatz 1
here for some additional advice for this essay!