practice exercises on this page are primarily compiled from
other websites ==> please use the Contact/Feedback
link in the navigation bar on the left to let me know if any
of the links stops working, so I can update or delete it! Some
of the exercises below are rather detailed, whereas this page
is just designed to provide a general overview of case ==>
don't be too concerned if something seems very unfamiliar
to you, but do ask your instructor about it.
particular, a number of the exercises below deal with prepositions
and strong/verb/weak verb pairs. These will be explained
in more detail on the Prepositions
page on this site, but you can get a good preliminary review
of prepositions by trying these exercises!
NOT taken from other websites
Was ist logisch? Helps you recognize the dative
case and build a basic understanding its use with verbs
that take both direct (accusative) and indirect (dative)
mit Genitiv Educational infotainment :) Practice
the Genitive by translating titles of some popular movies.
The second of these asks you to translate into German and
is quite difficult; use the "Nächster richtiger Buchstabe"
button if you're stuck on e.g. an adjective ending.
practice: Was ist richtig?
from other websites
1. nthuleen.com Handouts and exercises created by Nancy Thuleen. Many of these are accompanied by an answer sheet ("Lösungsblatt").
2. Übungen auf der Treffpunkt Deutsch Webseite:
Übungen auf der Neue Horizonte Webseite:
- Kapitel 2: Try the exercises "Accusative Case" [note the first item is actually Nominative, since the verb is "sein" - but the others really are all Accusative] and "Possessive Adjectives" [most of these are Nominative, but a5, 7 and 8 are Accusative]
- Kapitel 4: Try the exercise "More uses of the Accusative Case"
- Kapitel 5: Try the exercises "Dative Case," "Dative Personal Pronouns," and "Prepositions with the Dative Case"
- Kapitel 6: Try the exercises "Two-way Prepositions" and "Masculine N-Nouns"
- Kapitel 7: Try the exercises "Der-Words and Ein-Words," "Verbs with Dative objects," "Personal Dative," and "Verbs with two-way Prepositions"
- Kapitel 8: Try the exercises "Genitive Case" and "Prepositions with the Genitive Case"
4. Übungen auf der Deutsch Heute Webseite [as of 11/2013, these exercises do work on a Mac using Chrome, although a webpage comes up with the title "webpage not available"]