- moviepilot.de Great German movie site. Roll your mouse over the "Filme" heading to get started!
- IMDB's List of Most Popular German-Language Feature Films
movie trailers A regularly updated selection of
German-language movie trailers.
- filmlaune.de The link takes you to their page with descriptions and IMDB-based ratings of popular German movies, and links to trailers (note that the filter also includes films that don't "seem" German, e.g. German-British co-productions). Use the options on the left to refine your search or look for other films by genre/epoch/country.
- about.com's German Movie Guide A guide to recent releases and German movie classics
Homepage of the Cinedom multiplex in Köln
Huge site with reviews of lots of movies and tons
of other info.
- kabeleins Filmlexikon Searchable database with reviews and actor/director info for more than 80,000 German and international films
Umfassende [=comprehensive] Site über den deutschen
Film. Es gibt zum Beispiel Links zu den Drehbüchern
[=scripts] von einigen deutschen Filmen.
Kinoprogramm Current list of what's showing in
Cologne. Click on one of the featured movies for more info, or on "Alle Filme heute von A-Z" to see everything that's currently showing somewhere in Cologne.
Dietrich bei wikipedia.de
Biggest German guide to TV programming
Austrian guide to TV programming
Online Magazines Devoted to
- Deutsche-Filme.de Info about recently released German movies, as well as an archive of German movies from the last several years.
- Victoria (2015) Prize-winning movie shot in a single take about Victoria, a A young Spanish woman who has newly moved to Berlin. Victoria's late-night/early morning flirtation with a local guy turns potentially deadly as their night out with his friends takes some unexpected turns. Much of the dialogue is in English. The link takes you to the movie's IMDB page. Here are wikipedia's web links for this film.
- Honig im Kopf Most popular German movie of 2014. Comedy drama (!) about Alzheimer. Before Tilda's parents can put her beloved grandfather in a home due to his progressing Alzheimer disease, she escapes with him on a wild trip to Italy. The link takes you to the movie's IMDB page.
- Im Labyrinth des Schweigens [Released internationally as Labyrinth of Lies] (2014) Fictionalized dramatisation ofthe pre-history of the Auschwitz trials in the late 1950s, when Germany's Nazi past was being actively repressed.
- Fack ju Göhte (2013) Most popular German movie of 2013. Comedy set in a school. Ex-con poses as a teacher in order to be able to dig up the loot which his friend buried under the school's gym. Link takes you to the movie's IMDB page. The sequel was the most popular German movie of 2015.
- Friendship (2009) Comedy about two friends from former East Germany who want to go to San Francisco after the Fall of the Wall - but they don't speak English, and only have enough money to fly to New York City.
- Das weiße Band (2009) Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment. The abused and suppressed children of the villagers seem to be at the heart of this mystery.
- Auf der anderen Seite (2007) Drama by Fatih Akin, set in Germany and Turkey.
- Keinohrhasen (2007) Romantic comedy starring Til Schwaiger. Most popular German movie of 2007. Rainbow press reporter Ludo is sentenced to community service at a local daycare center. His boss there is Anna, who has unfinished business with him... Link takes you to the movie's IMDB page.
- Das Leben der Anderen (2006) Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. About state surveillance methods in former East Germany. Link takes you to a taz.de review of various movies from tha year; Das Leben der Anderen is number 5.
- Die Fälscher (2007) Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. True story of Salomon "Sally" Sorowitsch, the "king of counterfeiters." He is arrested in 1936 and sent to a concentration camp. There, the Nazis force him and a group of other prisoners to produce fake foreign currency on a large scale, in return for better treatment - setting up a moral dilemma, as Salomon and his group realize that their actions could prolong the war and risk the lives of fellow prisoners.
in Afrika This film by Caroline Link won the Oscar
for Best Foreign Language Film in 2003. A German Jewish refugee family moves to Kenya to escape the Nazis in the 1930s, and adjusts to life on a farm there, until the war catches up to them. Based on a true story, told by the family's young daughter. The link takes you to the moviemaze.de review.
bye Lenin! Very successful, witty and entertaining
2003 movie with a great premise: a young man is arrested
for protesting against the East german government
shortly before the fall of the wall. His mother sees
the police arrest him, suffers a heart attack and
falls into a coma. When she awakes, the wall is gone,
but her frail health makes it dangerous for her to
get this kind of shocking news--so the son tries to
hide it for her by making everything in their flat
seem as if the GDR still existed.... Most popular German movie of 2003.
- Der bewegte Mann (1994) Most popular German movie of 1994. Romantic comedy-drama. Axel's girlfriend throws him out of her apartment after catching him in the act of cheating on her. Having nowhere to go, he ends up living for a while with Norbert, a gay man he met some days before. Will he change teams? Link takes you to the movie's IMDB page.
Film "language" links