In general, please follow the links on these pages at your own risk. Joke collections, for example, often tend to include some rather offensive material. If, however, one of the sites below links you to popups with explicit sexual content, please email me and I will remove it immediately. [None of them did so when I tested them, but that can always change.]
and humor sites [der Witz, -e= joke; lustig = witzig = funny]
Comics und Cartoons
- www.nichtlustig.de Klicken Sie auf "Zu den Cartoons" und dann links auf die Ikone für "Alle Cartoons".
- Recurring themes/characters include suicidal lemmings; Santa Claus & his occasionally vacationing reindeer; an obnoxious neighbor living in the wall of an apartment; cacti; ice monsters; snowmen; vampires; monsters; elephants; "pupsen" (a childish word for passing gas); disastrously powerful magnets etc.
Deutsche South Park Seite. If you're at a German IP address, you can watch all the South park episodes in German via this site. Use the icon that looks like a weird mouth to change the language to German (the default is often English)
Simpsons Man sieht die Simpsons in Deutschland
auf "ProSieben". Hier ist die ProSieben
Webseite für die Simpsons.
German cartoon about a low-brow motorcycle rider who
speaks dialect and speeds recklessly.
Asterix Archiv Asterix is actually a French comic
about an eccentric little village in Gaul that resists
Julius Caesar's Romans with the help of a magic potion
brewed by its druid, but it is very popular in Germany.
We've ordered the first Asterix comic as "recommended
reading' for 102/103--take a look if you're interested!
König Homepage of Germany's best-known author of gay-themed comics. Warning: the drawings on this site are often quite explicit and may offend some people. The very popular 1994 movie Maybe, Maybe Not
(Der bewegte Mann) was based on comics by Ralf
Video Games/Computer Games
Miscellaneous fun stuff
- geboren am Lists famous people born on any given day. Click on any name for more info. Also provides birthdays for people in the news, people who will have a "major" birthday this year, etc. Lots of interesting info, great for browsing when you have a minute, or at the start of the day.
- Monty Python auf Deutsch:
Pythons fliegender Zirkus In 1971 & 1972, two episodes
of Monty Python's Flying Circus were produced in German
for German TV. John Cleese and company actually
say all their lines in surprisingly good German [this
started out as their final video project for German
231]. This link takes you to one of the episodes on YouTube; if it breaks, a search on YouTube should let you find at least a few highlights. Click here to see the wikipedia page about these two episodes, which may include additional links, e.g. to the transcripts of the shows.
Leben des Brian Complete script of The Life
of Brian auf Deutsch!
Python Sketche auf Deutsch Transcripts for several
Monty Python sketches; the first two are in German.
- Dinner for One This Slate article probes the mystery of how this British sketch, unknown in Britain, could become Germany's most popular New Year's tradition. You can watch the sketch (11 minutes long and in English) here.
Online love-letter-writing service, apparently
Hier können Sie Kontaktanzeigen [=romance ads]
auf deutsch lesen. Try not to click on any links
marked "Werbung" in tiny letters!
- gutefrage.net: Teenager Here teenagers can ask and answer questions. They can be about anything, but of course are very often about romance :)
This is an all-purpose online form for stressed-out
parents to fill out giving the (often absurd) reason
their son/daughter had to miss class.
Speisekarten - Kölner Unis Sehen Sie, was die Studenten
in den Kantinen an den Universitäten in Köln essen,
und wie billig es ist!
- Loreley Restaurant & Biergarten If you're ever in New York City, check out this place, which serves excellent, authentic German food, and has Gaffel Kölsch on tap straight from Cologne. The staff speaks German, and perhaps your German could get you a job there
- Heavy-Metal-Umlaut If the topic interests you, you can follow the link to the corresponding English-language page for lots more info and examples.
- das deutsche Reimlexikon Das deutsche Reimlexikon
[Reim = rhyme]. "Für Dichter, Songwriter, Rapper
- Zungenbrecher/Tongue Twisters A comprehensive collection of tongue twisters, spoonerisms [=Schüttelreime] etc., including some in various dialects. Some are fun, some are lame, some are good pronunciation practice. Pick the ones you like! Click on the hyperlinked number above each one to see a translation.
virtuelle Lederhosenmuseum Alles über bayerische,
österreichische und internationale Lederhosen.
- startrek.de Die offizielle deutsche Star Trek Seite.
- jedipedia.de Das deutsche Star Wars Wiki
Porsche Sportfahrschule Kaufen Sie einen Porsche
und lernen Sie dann, schnell und sicher zu fahren!
animal sounds Brilliant page comparing the words for animal sounds in various languages.
- Mark Twain's essay(s) "The Awful German Language" and/or "The Horrors of the German Language. Twain actually
learned to speak German very well, so it's OK that
he made fun of it
- Note: Apart from its obvious humor, what makes "The Horrors of the German Language" such a marvelous text is that Twain wrote (and delivered) the speech in excellent German, and also translated it literally word-for-word into English. Reading through the parallel columns of this text can be a great activity for expanding your vocabulary, and getting a feel for German grammar and syntax, and for some of the differences between German and English - though Twain is of course also using a somewhat older form of the language, and manipulating it to suit his purpose.
- wikipedia: Denglisch On the influx of English into German. Lots of great examples
Website devoted to the car, Trabant, formerly produced
in East Germany
Information auf Deutsch und auf Englisch über
Echt = real, genuine. This site compiles crazy/funny
names of real people and places.