In general, please follow the links on these pages at your own risk. Joke collections, for example, often tend to include some rather offensive material. If, however, one of the sites below links you to popups with explicit sexual content, please email me and I will remove it immediately. [None of them did so when I tested them, but that can always change.]
and humor sites [der Witz, -e= joke; lustig = witzig = funny]
Comics und Cartoons
- www.nichtlustig.de Klicken Sie auf "Zu den Cartoons" und dann links auf die Ikone für "Alle Cartoons".
- Sort of a more twisted version of "The Far Side." The cast of characters includes suicidal lemmings; Santa Claus (+ occasionally vacationing reindeer & a cast of dysfunctional replacements); a man whose insane and obnoxious neighbor seems to live in a crawlspace outside his apartment; cacti; polar bears (or polar monsters?); snowmen; vampires of all kinds; monsters with issues; cows, elephants, dinosaurs etc.; people with gas ("pupsen" = a childish word for passing gas); disastrously powerful magnets etc. Enjoy, and use LEO if you have vocab problems.
- Katherine Munro's list of German cartoon sites
Deutsche South Park Seite. Hier kann man alle Episoden auf Deutsch sehen!
Simpsons Man sieht die Simpsons in Deutschland
auf "ProSieben". Hier ist die ProSieben
Webseite für die Simpsons.
German cartoon about a low-brow motorcycle rider who
speaks dialect and speeds recklessly.
Asterix Archiv Asterix is actually a French comic
about an eccentric little village in Gaul that resists
Julius Caesar's Romans with the help of a magic potion
brewed by its druid, but it is very popular in Germany.
We've ordered the first Asterix comic as "recommended
reading' for 102/103--take a look if you're interested!
König Homepage of Germany's best-known author of gay-themed comics. Warning: the drawings on this site are often quite explicit and may offend some people. The very popular 1994 movie Maybe, Maybe Not
(Der bewegte Mann) was based on comics by Ralf
Video Games/Computer Games
Miscellaneous fun stuff
- geboren am Lists famous people born on any given day. Click on any name for more info. Also provides birthdays for people in the news, people who will have a "major" birthday this year, etc. Occasional typos, but lots of interesting info.
- Monty Python auf Deutsch:
- Dinner for One This Slate article probes the mystery of how this British sketch, unknown in Britain, could become Germany's most popular New Year's tradition. You can watch the sketch (11 minutes long and in English) here on Google video.
Der esoterisch-spirituelle Webkatalog
A really fun idea created in conjunction with the
2000 World's Fair in Hannover: you can enter a message,
which is then displayed instantaneously on the newscaster
display attached to a wind turbine by the Autobahn
near Hannover, 70 meters above the ground. The
site can also work as a chat site if several people
are online simultaneously ==> try chatting with your
German-speaking friends (or strangers) for all to
see by the highway near Hannover!
Online love-letter-writing service, apparently
Hier können Sie Kontaktanzeigen [=romance ads]
auf deutsch lesen. Try not to click on any links
marked "Werbung" in tiny letters...
kurze Affäre Sehr kurze, sehr humorvolle
Geschichte mit Bildern von einer Romanze, die nicht
funktioniert hat. Wenn der direkte Link kaputt ist, klicken Sie hier: Der virtuelle Schnellimbiss
This is an all-purpose online form for stressed-out
parents to fill out giving the (often absurd) reason
their son/daughter had to miss class.
Speisekarten - Kölner Unis Sehen Sie, was die Studenten
in den Kantinen an den Universitäten in Köln essen,
und wie billig es ist!
- Loreley Restaurant & Biergarten If you're ever in New York City, check out this place, which serves excellent, authentic German food, and has Gaffel Kölsch on tap straight from Cologne. The staff speaks German, and perhaps your German could get you a job there
- Heavy-Metal-Umlaut If the topic interests you, you can follow the link to the corresponding English-language page for lots more info and examples.
- das deutsche Reimlexikon Das deutsche Reimlexikon
[Reim = rhyme]. "Für Dichter, Songwriter, Rapper
und Verliebte." 19.000 Wörter.
- Zungenbrecher/Tongue Twisters A comprehensive collection of tongue twisters, spoonerisms [=Schüttelreime] etc., including some in various dialects. Some are fun, some are lame, some are good pronunciation practice. Pick the ones you like! Click on the hyperlinked number above each one to see a translation.
virtuelle Lederhosenmuseum Alles über bayerische,
österreichische und internationale Lederhosen.
Star Trek Universum Check out e.g. the Ferengi
Rules of Acquisition auf Deutsch
by clicking on "Das Lexikon" and looking up "Erwerbsregeln" :)
offizielle Star Wars Magazin
Porsche Sportfahrschule Kaufen Sie einen Porsche
und lernen Sie dann, schnell und sicher zu fahren!
animal sounds Brilliant page comparing the words for animal sounds in various languages.
- Mark Twain's essay(s) "The Awful German Language" and/or "The Horrors of the German Language. Twain actually
learned to speak German very well, so it's OK that
he made fun of it
- Note: Apart from its obvious humor, what makes "The Horrors of the German Language" such a marvelous text is that Twain wrote (and delivered) the speech in excellent German, and also translated it literally word-for-word into English. Reading through the parallel columns of this text can be a great activity for expanding your vocabulary, and getting a feel for German grammar and syntax, and for some of the differences between German and English - though Twain is of course also using a somewhat older form of the language, and manipulating it to suit his purpose.
- wikipedia: Denglisch On the influx of English into German. Lots of great examples
Website devoted to the car, Trabant, formerly produced
in East Germany
Information auf Deutsch und auf englisch über
Echt = real, genuine. This site compiles crazy/funny
names of real people and places.