im Internet Comprehensive resource page compiled
by the Universität Erlangen with links to info
on all aspects of "Germanistik" (the study of German
Click on "Autoren" to see biographies of classical authors and plot summaries of some of their works, or browse the site for other resources.
der Universitätsbibliothek der FU Berlin
For almost any German-speaking author you can think
of, you can find here a link to one or more webpages
devoted to that author with info on the author and/or
links to online texts, biographical information, reviews
of the author's work etc. A great starting point
for web research on any given author.
A comprehensive resource page compiled by the Albert-Ludwigs
Universität Freiburg, including an extensive
link list, access to various online texts ("Volltexte"),
- Inhaltsangabe.info Website created by a (currently, i.e. 1/2012) 19-year-old German student devoted to plot summaries and occasional brief interpretations of literary texts. Also branches out into other fields, such as Math, English, Biology. Recommended by the German Federal Ministry of Education. Scroll down the page to see the list of texts summarized so far.
- inhaltsangabe.de Another webpage with plot summaries of important German and English literary works. Challenging to read, but very informative.
Gutenberg The largest collection of German literature
on the Internet. Texts are organized for reading online
with longer works divided into chapters. There is
no provision for searching complete works or the Gutenberg
database. The collection is now located within the
Der Spiegel site, which means dealing with
frames and problems with the search function, but
you can get around these. To see a text without
the frame, click on "Druckversion" [=print version].
If you're having trouble with the site's search function,
try going to Google,
selecting "Advanced Search," and then specifying gutenberg.spiegel.de
as the domain--but this doesn't always work.
Note that you can see a complete listing by author
by clicking on "Autoren A-Z" at the bottom of the
Schulze's Compendium of Online German Texts
Tremendous and well-organized collection. In
particular, this site includes links to many more
recent texts not found e.g. on the Projekt Gutenberg
Site. The site was moved in 2008, resulting in some broken links - but you can still use the info here to see what's available, and then search for it on Projekt Gutenberg or elsewhere.
Zimmer: Literatur im Netz Another excellent site.
Click on "Autoren" to see a listing of links for individual
authors, or follow the wealth of other links to literary
Heidelberg Here you can find a selection of texts
digitalized by the Universität Heidelberg, as
well as a link to a wonderful annotated list of digitalized
texts worldwide: click on "Digitalisierte Literatur
weltweit" near the bottom of the page.
- Lexikus.de Very promising collection of public domain texts organized thematically. Many texts are still in the process of being digitized; click here and scroll down the page to see an explanation of the icons used on the site.
Anthologie Currently (1/2012) includes roughly
1500 poems from 1720-1900.
century German Stories Wonderfully done multimedia
editions from Virginia Commonwealth University.
Includes Struwwelpeter, Max und Moritz,
and a selection of the Grimm fairy tales, as well
as a great selection of other texts. For most
texts you can find a "story menu" that allows you
to read a dual-language version, or to read the text
side-by-side with a convenient dictionary window.
(University of Buffalo) Collection of extensively
glossed texts in various languages. Currently
(2001) only a few German texts (4 by the Grimm Brothers,
two by Kafka, one by Kant), but plans for many more.
Contemporary Austrian prose and poetry. Click on "literatur.primär" or "bü.cher" at the top.
Small collection of dada texts in German or English
Marvellous site where you can download free mp3 files
of various (mostly literary) texts being read aloud
in very clear German. Clicking on the audio icon gives
you just an excerpt of the text ==> click on the
disk icon to download the entire text. You can also
click on the document icon to see the written version
of the text in a separate browser window. To find
a specific text, click on "Autoren." A good
starting point might be the Grimm fairy tales, which
you can get to via the site's home page.
- Leselupe.de A site that allows contemporary authors to publish their work, and offers numerous resources (mostly free), including audiobooks, e-books, reviews, discussion forums, etc.
Online Magazines Devoted to
Includes opportunities to submit your own poetry in
German for contests ("Ausschreibungen") or in an online
forum with numerous participants; reviews; and a list
of related links.
- Die deutsche Gedichtebibliothek Awesome site. Provides a comprehensive collection of German poems, and in many cases biographies of the poets and other info.
- If you like Charles Bukowski (who was of German descent), you can find some poems here that he wrote in German.
- Lyrikline Search poems [Gedichte] or poets [AutorInnen] by language. Listen to the author read the poem while you follow along in the text.
- Gedichte Projekt Gutenberg's collection of German poems
- The Poetry of Relationships Great site from Ohio University, collecting various poems together with readings of them, classical or modern musical versions, background info etc.
Gedichtauswahl Large collection, good for Heine
and 20th century poems
Anthologie Currently (12/2003) includes roughly
600 poems from 1720-1900.
Galgenlieder Fun poems!
Celan: Here you can listen to Celan reading a selection of his own poems (including "Todesfuge"), and see the texts; here you can listen to him reading a somewhat overlapping selection of poems while looking at English translations of the texts.
Individual authors and texts
Grimm Brothers :
- Märchen - Jacob und Wilhelm Grimm Wonderful site with a large collection of Grimm fairy tales, organized alphabetically, and including, after each tale, a link to tales with similar motifs. If you explore the site, you'll actually find there a collection of fairy tales and fables from the entire world!