The History PhD program operates under the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. The admissions page on Rackham Graduate School's website provides detailed instructions for applying for graduate studies at the University of Michigan. In addition to the application, various supporting documents are required by the History program. All of these should be uploaded to the application. Only transcripts should be mailed to the department.
Please do not submit an online application before September 1. Our deadline for submittal of the online application and all supporting documents is December 1 at 11:59 PM (EST).
Step 1. Create an account with the university.
Step 2. Take all required tests.
- Please be sure that the University of Michigan (institution code 1839) is indicated on the recipient list for all test scores (GRE, TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS) so that scores are sent to
- Test results must be received by University of Michigan no later than Dec. 1. Please be aware that it can take 1-2 weeks for the electronic transmission to occur.
Step 3. Apply online.
- Complete an Online Application (You must have a valid credit card to apply).
- Register your three faculty letter-writers with the online application. This is usually done well before the application is submitted.
- Upload your Personal Statement and the Academic Statement of Purpose to the online application.
- Upload a writing sample.
- Upload a CV.
- Upload PDF scans of transcripts.
Do not mail printed copies of the application and uploaded materials—they will be received by the department and Rackham, electronically, through the online application website.
Step 4. Mail transcripts to Rackham Graduate School.
- One set of official, final, undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts, with your degree posted
- One set of official undergraduate or graduate transcripts for programs that are in progress
- Mailing address:
|Rackham Graduate School Attn: Transcripts/U-M ID#|
|(if known) or Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)|
|915 E. Washington St.|
|Ann Arbor MI 48109-1070|
Please Note: No materials should be mailed to the History Department. Everything should be uploaded to the online application except for transcripts mailed to Rackham.
Questions? Email us at History Admissions.