Up to 300 students in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering who will be juniors and seniors annually will be selected for scholarships of up to $7500/year by the Barry M. Goldwater Foundation. Applicants must be nominated by their institutions.
The deadline for application to the U-M STEM Scholarship Committee will be the Monday following Thanksgiving, by 12 noon.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Students are eligible to apply in sophomore and junior year
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold a U.S. resident visa who sign an affidavit indicating their intent to become a U.S. citizen.
- Applicants must show strong potential and commitment to a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. Refer to the Goldwater Foundation’s web page for information about appropriate fields of study.
- Most successful candidates have a GPA of 3.8 or better and some research or practical experience in their fields.
- Applicant should have strong letters of recommendations from three faculty in their department or research experiences. At least one letter must support the research activity described in your 2-page research essay.
- The U-M application deadline is the Monday following Thanksgiving, by 12 noon.
- You can begin an application by going to www.act.org/goldwater
- Please do not enter your recommenders’ contact information into the online application at this point. (This will generate an automated email asking them to upload their essays). Instead, have three letters of recommendation sent directly to Henry Dyson at email@example.com. After nominations are made, recommendation letters will be uploaded to the Goldwater site however, since they cannot be changed or updated once they are uploaded, Dr. Dyson will assist you this process.
- Provide transcripts from all non-UM work at the college level and your 2-page research essay to Henry Dyson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Henry Dyson, LSA Honors Program