This section will walk you through the process of applying to the LSA Honors Program and answer questions regarding the process. Finally, the actual essay questions are provided.
- Why does the Honors program use essay questions?
- How many apply and how many are accepted?
- What is the timeline for applying?
- When will I receive the decision regarding admission to Honors?
- How do accept/decline the invitation to join the program?
- Should I apply to Honors if I haven't decided to attend U-M?
- How do transfer students apply from outside schools?
- How do current LSA students apply?
- ESSAY QUESTIONS
- Trouble-shooting the essay upload process (receiving "not authorized" prompt).
Each of these questions will link you to appropriate answers. Under the buttons on the main Prospective Students page, you can find links regarding (1) general information about Honors (2) opportunities for Honors students, and (3) what to expect in your first year.
Test scores and grades are only part of what goes into our admissions decision-making. That's why we require all students who apply to the Program to write an additional essay as part of their application to Honors. The essay is an invaluable holistic evaluation tool, enabling us to determine if your interests and talents are a good fit with the Honors Program. It's a time- and labor-intensive process, but each year, we are rewarded through our interactions with such an amazing group of young people.
Our applications reviewers read more than 1600 essays each year to fill an incoming class of approximately 450-500.
Once you are admitted to the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, you may submit your essay. You will need to use a UM friend account or, if you have paid your enrollment deposit, your UM uniqname and password, to log into our application site. Our application system is available HERE for admitted students.
We will evaluate your application for the LSA Honors Program, based on your Honors essay and your entire Common Application, following receipt of your essay. Our admissions decision will be provided by a date that is determined by when you submitted your Honors application. Here is our timeline for contacting students with a decision. While we do have deadlines specified below, please send us your essay as soon as possible.
- January 22, 2014 – All applications received by this date will have a decision sent out via email by February 14, 2014.
- February 26, 2014 - All applications received after January 22, 2014 but by this date will have a decision sent out via email by March 21, 2014.
- April 9, 2014 - All applications received after February 26, 2014 but by this date will have a decision sent out via email by April 25, 2014.
- All applications received after April 9th will be evaluated in the order in which they were received if space is available. We will make every effort to let you know our decision no later than May 1, 2014 when your enrollment deposit, confirming that you will attend UM, is due.
- In your notification, you will fall into one of 3 decision categories: admit, defer, or deny. The admit and deny categories represent final decisions. If you have fallen into the defer category, your application will require additional consideration before we make a final decision. If your decision is a defer, you will be notified by April 25, 2014 at the latest, to inform you of our final decision.
- May 1, 2014—If we admit you into Honors on or prior to April 25th, 2014 you must confirm by May 1st, 2013 that you plan to join the Program.
Please follow the instructions in your acceptance email in order to accept or decline your invitation to join the LSA Honors Program. More information is available here.
We strongly urge you to apply to Honors even before you know that you are going to come to U-M. That way it is likely that you will be able base your decision, in part, on whether or not you are in Honors.
Transfer Student Information
Current LSA students are welcome to apply during their first two years. Simply email your student information (ID, uniqname), along with a paragraph about your interest in the program, to this link: firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Assistant Director will contact you to set up an appointment.
If you are in your junior year, generally students join Honors by declaring a major and deciding to write a thesis. In this case, you will speak with an advisor/faculty in the department of your major, who will contact us that you are beginning this process. Your advising contact and graduation audit will transfer to Honors (from LSA Newnan Advising Center) following this notification.
To help us determine whether you might thrive in the Honors community, you will respond to one of the posted prompts. Please limit your essay to 500-1000, but not more than 1000 words.
Once you have been admitted to LSA, you can submit your Honors application essay HERE . Please note that you will need your UM Friend Account or UMID and password in order to enter the site.
Honors Essay Questions for Fall 2014 Admissions
1. “Words bounce. Words, if you let them, will do what they want to do and what they have to do.” (Anne Carson, Autobiography of Red) Let your words bounce—where do they go and what do they have to do?
2. Tell us about zero.
3. Can economic equality and entrepreneurialism coexist?
4. Malcolm Muggeridge’s autobiography is called Chronicles of Wasted Time. What is the most fruitful, interesting way you’ve ever wasted time?
5. World War I began nearly 100 years ago—on July 28, 1914. Thinking of the impact of that event, discuss how society today has been affected by that war.
If you are unable to access the Honors application on Wolverine Access please use this process which will likely fix the issue.
Generally, students go through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions process to authenticate their UM Friend account, which is below:
1) Create Friend Account.
2) Log in to New and Prospective Student Business on Wolverine Access Gateway.
3) Enter UMID and Date of Birth to Authenticate the friend account and get access to their application status.
4) View Application Status.
It may be that you did not complete steps 2 and 3 of the process. Please go to New and Prospective Student Business (link on wolverineaccess.umich.edu) and enter your UMID and Date of Birth to fully activate your account. Then, return to the Honors site using the application link and try again.
If this does not resolve your issue, please contact us at email@example.com with any admissions-related inquiries.