add contact to address book

Adriana Chira

Doctoral Candidate in Anthropology & History

1029 Tisch Hall, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003

achira@umich.edu

• About

My dissertation explores the transformations of popular political culture in the Cuban region of Oriente throughout the long nineteenth century. Through this regional study, I examine the formation of inter-Caribbean and Afro-disaporic political, economic, and kinship networks in the wake of the Haitian Revolution. Drawing on political correspondence, notarial records, and judicial cases from twenty archival repositories, located in Cuba, Spain, and the U.S., I argue that the arrival of refugees from St.-Domingue to Santiago in 1803, and their back-and-forths between Cuba, New Orleans, and Haiti lay the foundation for highly cosmopolitan popular political culture strands, some of which were overtly anti-slavery and some of which sought to promote the rights of free people of color, while still others sought to do both.  I suggest that memories of the Haitian Revolution played a key role in these political culture strands well into the late nineteenth century and informed the diplomatic ties that some of the pro-independence insurgents from Santiago established with Haitian political and intellectual figures during the Ten Years' War. My research also traces the continuities and disjunctures between the intellectual and military visions of pan-Caribbeanism that emerged during the Cuban War of Independence and the popular political culture of the city of Santiago de Cuba and its surrounding plantations.

• Education
    • BA University of Cambridge, 2005
    • MA Cornell University, 2008
  • Awards
    • James R. Scobie Award (CLAH), 2011
    • Social Science Research Council--International Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2012
    • Casa de Velázquez scholarship, 2012
  • Research Areas of Interest
    • slavery and emancipation
    • ideologies of race, freedom, and citizenship rights
    • African diaspora
    • 19th c. Cuba and the U.S. South