INDIA IN THE WORLD
India has emerged on the world scene in new and exciting ways in recent decades:
- As one of the world’s most vibrant economies
- As a key player in geopolitics; as the world’s largest democracy
- As home to the world’s largest “middle class”
- As the site of one of the world’s largest and most vibrant film industries
- As a contributor to global trends in art and aesthetics
- As “home” to well-established and significant immigrant communities around the world, including the United States
India in the World seeks to underscore this, as well as to emphasize the ways that India is a part of everyday life in our increasingly globalized world.
President Coleman's India trip looks to strengthen global education
President Mary Sue Coleman is leading a U-M delegation to India this week to build partnerships and strengthen collaborations with Indian institutions of higher education. In this video, featuring the CSAS Director, Farina Mir, U-M leaders and faculty members discuss the goals of the trip and the benefits of global education. Watch the Video.
The Manganiyar Seduction
On October 26 and 27 The Manganiyar Seduction kicked off the Winter 2014 Theme Semester with a lively and spiritually charged performance. They used songs from their Muslim faith and tinged them with Hindu and Sufi sounds, lyrics, and chant. It was wildly theatrical and illustrated beautifully music's ability to seduce both body and soul. Check out a sample here.
- Pakistan’s Chief Justice Leaves a Mixed Legacy December 17, 2013
- W'14 Hughes Fellow Liang speaks out on India Supreme Court Ruling December 17, 2013
- Indian State Election Results December 10, 2013
- Temple Destruction and Historical Construction: Rethinking the “Fall” of Vijayanagara
Speaker: Kathleen Morrison
- Theme Semester Media Series: Garam Hawa (Scorching Winds)
- 10:00 PM
- Opening Reception: India Map Exhibit