FAQ

Q. What is the LSA Instructional Equipment Fund, and what can it be used for?

A.  The College provides a limited amount of funding (on the order of $225K per year in FY08 for the entire College) through the Instructional Equipment Fund to support LSA units’ instructional requests. These funds are requested through the budget process. Departments typically use Instructional Equipment Funds to upgrade or replace installed media or instructional technology equipment. In the vast majority of cases, funding for the outfitting or replacement of equipment in departmentally assigned classrooms, outside of the Instructional Equipment Fund request process, is the responsibility of the LSA unit that is assigned the space.

Q. How can I apply for LSA Instructional Equipment Funding?

A.  LSA Departments may apply for LSA Instructional Equipment Funds during the regular annual departmental budget submission. See instructions on the budget submission form for details or contact your departmental analyst in LSA Finance.

Q. Who are the mysterious students who go from classroom to classroom...

Q.  Who are the mysterious students who go from classroom to classroom late at night and early in the morning with large backpacks, a phone, and a clipboard, who check the equipment, and then vanish? Are they associated with the custodial staff?

A.  No. As a matter of fact, they are part of our team of ROVERs (Routine Observation of Vital Equipment and Resources). To ensure that all classroom equipment functions properly when you need it most, we test all classroom equipment on a daily basis. They are an important reason why faculty and students can rely on LSA classrooms. If you have any questions about the room or about LSA ISS, don’t hesitate to ask one of the ROVERs.

Q. How do I know what type of equipment is in the classrooms?

A.  LSA Instructional Support Services maintains a website that provides information about all LSA centrally-scheduled classrooms. You can search for a room that best meets the needs of your class or event, and also access support information such as printable operating instructions for the A/V equipment and contact information for additional help. The link to the database can be found at the ISS website by clicking on Instructional Classroom Database. You will need to authenticate with your Kerberos password.

Q. Where can I find instructions for how to use the equipment...

Q.  Where can I find instructions for how to use the equipment found in an LSA classroom?

A.  General information about the equipment in LSA classrooms appears in the Instructional Classroom Database. You will need to authenticate with your Kerberos password. Once in the Classroom Database, enter your building name or room number in the search field. Each classroom record lists "Equipment/Capabilities" in a column next to the room picture. Click on the “Printable room instructions (pdf)” at the bottom of the list.

Q. Do you loan out adapters so I can connect my computer to...

Q.  Do you loan out adapters so I can connect my computer to a data projector or digital monitor?

A.  We do not loan out individual adaptors by themselves. Most PC laptops have the appropriate VGA connections in the classrooms that will connect directly to ISS cables for data projectors and digital monitors. People with Mac laptops need to bring the appropriate VGA adapter that came with the computer from the manufacturer.

If you need a Mac laptop with an adapter, we can check out an ISS computer with the appropriate adapter that fits our computers.

Q. Why can’t I check out a Mac adapter to connect my Mac to a data projector?

A.  This is a very frequently asked question. Unfortunately, manufacturers do not have consistent VGA adapters across product lines. We are unable to stock every type of adapter for all of the different laptops on the market, or for all of the different types of computers faculty, students, and guests bring with them from all over the world.

ISS staff members are trained to support ISS computers and are able to work with the specific peripherals appropriate for ISS computers. There are far too many types of adapters for ISS staff to know specifically which adapter you would need for your personal computer.

Unfortunately, in the past, VGA adapters were regularly not returned to ISS Loan centers. ISS is not sufficiently budgeted to subsidize personal computer peripherals for every patron who comes through LSA classrooms.

If you do not have a VGA adapter that connects your computer to our data projectors and monitors, you will need to contact your computer manufacturer, a local or online distributor, or your Departmental IT Staff. Here are some links:

UM Computer Showcase: http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/
Apple Store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays

Q. Do you deliver equipment to classrooms?

A.  LSA ISS does not deliver equipment to classrooms. There are three equipment loan centers to serve you located Mason Hall, Dennison Hall, and the Modern Languages Building

Please Note: If you need assistance moving equipment from a loan center to your classroom, when you make your equipment reservation you may coordinate with ISS loan center staff to have a reliable student from your class pick up and drop off your equipment. You may also speak with the Manager of ISS Operations if you face special circumstances and are unable to pick up equipment for your classes.

Q. How long can I check out equipment for?

A.  Length of time for which you can check out equipment varies depending on the type of equipment. Most AV equipment can be checked out for five days. Computers and some high-end equipment can only be checked out for less than 24 hours. Some high-end video equipment requires completion of special training in advance.

However, if you have a special need requiring equipment for a longer loan period, you may submit a special request. Please call our office at 615-0100 or email us at lsa-iss-reservations@umich.edu for more information.

Q. What if I am unable to pick up the equipment from the Loan Center myself?

A.  You may make arrangements in advance to send someone to pick up reserved equipment for you, but please let the Loan Center know in advance that you will be sending someone other than yourself. Without advance arrangements, we cannot let equipment go with someone other than the person who made the reservation.

Please Note: the person who made the equipment reservation, and thus the person to whom the equipment is checked out, is ultimately responsible for the equipment. Please choose a responsible party if you are delegating someone to pick up or drop off equipment.

Q.  Do I have to sign the equipment loan agreement EVERY time...

Q.  Do I have to sign the equipment loan agreement EVERY time I pick up equipment?

A. Yes. We aim to ensure the safety of our equipment every time you have a new checkout. The signed loan agreement also verifies that you are aware of due dates, the type of equipment you are receiving, and any special information for the equipment.

Q. Who can checkout equipment from Instructional Support Services?

A.  All LSA faculty, staff and students are able to checkout equipment. Non-LSA students who are enrolled in LSA courses may checkout equipment to complete projects for those LSA courses. Non-LSA students may be asked to verify enrollment in an LSA course. Rackham students whose home department is an LSA department or program may also checkout equipment, after verification of the home department.

Q. Where are your equipment loan centers located?

A.  ISS operates three loan centers on Central Campus where LSA faculty and UM students enrolled in LSA courses may checkout a wide variety of AV equipment for classroom use and for short-term loans:

Mason Checkout Center
G340 Mason Hall
(734) 615-0100
lsa-iss-reservations@umich.edu

Dennison Checkout Center
(open Fall and Winter semesters only)
267 Dennison Hall
(734) 615-0100
lsa-iss-reservations@umich.edu

Instructional Support Services’ third checkout center provides professional grade video and audio equipment to LSA students, faculty and staff:

Media Center Video & Audio Equipment Loan
2001 Modern Languages Building (MLB)
(734) 763-1104
lsa-iss-media@umich.edu

Q. What do I need to bring with me...

Q.  What do I need to bring with me in order to pick up equipment from an ISS loan desk?

A.  To checkout equipment, you must provide a University of Michigan I.D. along with a course title and number to support your student, staff or faculty status.

Q. My information is blocked on the U of M Online Directory...

Q.  My information is blocked on the U of M Online Directory for personal reasons. Can I still checkout equipment from ISS?

A.  To make a checkout in our computer system complete, we need the information that MCommunity provides. If you are unable to unblock your information for personal or security reasons, you may request a departmental secretary or a faculty member call in the reservation for you. We will put your name and Uniqname in the order notes so that you can pick up the equipment. Please note, however, the equipment will be checked out under your sponsor’s name. That will be the person to whom we come for fines and/or damages. That person must be aware of the responsibility he or she takes on as a sponsor.

Q. May I make a recurring reservation throughout the semester?

A.  Yes, recurring reservations can be made. To make a reservation, please call 615-0100, stop into a loan center, or email us at lsa-iss-reservations@umich.edu.

Q. May I borrow equipment for an organizational meeting or event?

A.  Yes. You will need one person, who will be responsible for the equipment and is affiliated with LSA, to check out the equipment. That person will be the one to whom we come for fines and/or damages. That person must be aware of the responsibility he or she takes on as a sponsor.

Q. What type of equipment does ISS have available for loan?

A.  From the Mason Hall and Dennison Hall loan offices, LSA faculty and UM students enrolled in LSA courses may checkout a wide variety of AV equipment for classroom use and for short-term loan including, but not limited to:

• Laptop computers (Mac and Windows)
  • DV/HDV video cameras
  • Digital photographic cameras
  • Digital audio recorders
  • LCD projectors
  • TV carts
  • Overhead projectors

From our Media Center loan office (2001 MLB), LSA faculty, staff and UM students enrolled in LSA courses my checkout a wide variety of professional and semi-professional equipment for short-term loan including, but not limited to:

• High Definition video cameras with tapeless Direct To Edit (DTE) recording systems
  • Standard Definition DV video cameras in both professional and semi-professional kits
  • Portable video editing systems
  • Digital SLR photographic cameras
  • Lighting kits specialized for video production
  • Wide array of digital recorders and analog-to-digital converters
  • Professional hand-held, shotgun and digital microphones

Q. What is the LSA Space Policy and why is it important?

A.  The LSA Space Policy sets who is in charge of what space in LSA and who has responsibility to maintain, support and replace equipment and facilities in a space. It is important as it sets standards for departmentally managed classrooms, conference rooms, and other meeting spaces. 

Q. If my department is responsible...how can I get help?

Q.  If my department is responsible to support, maintain, and replace equipment in departmental classrooms, how can I get help? Are there funds available for this?

A.  As stated in the LSA Space Policy: Departments may request funds for upgrades or replacement of installed media or instructional technology equipment from the LSA Instructional Equipment fund managed by LSA Instructional Support Services (LSA ISS). The College provides a limited amount of funding (on the order of $225K per year in FY09 for the entire College) through the Instructional Equipment Fund to support LSA units’ instructional requests. These funds are requested through the annual budget submission. In the vast majority of cases funding for the outfitting or replacement of equipment in departmentally assigned classrooms, outside of the Instructional Equipment Fund request process, is the responsibility of the LSA unit that is assigned the space. In many cases major improvements will only be considered if the space is converted into an LSA centrally scheduled classroom.

Q. Why won’t LSA ISS support the equipment in our departmental classroom?

A.  The primary mission of LSA Instructional Support Services is to support teaching and learning in LSA centrally scheduled classrooms. These classrooms can be found in the Instructional Classroom Database. According to the LSA Space Policy, departments are responsible to maintain, support and replace equipment and facilities in their departmental spaces. This includes departmentally managed classrooms, conference rooms, and other meeting spaces, identified in the Space Survey as belonging to the department. To view the LSA Space Policy click here.

Q. My department is interested in converting departmental space...

Q.  My department is interested in converting departmental space into an LSA centrally scheduled classroom and having LSA Instructional Support Services take over support and maintenance of the space. Whom do we contact?

A.  Please contact Dr. Monika Dressler, Senior Manager of LSA Instructional Support Services, mdressle@umich.edu.

Q. Turning a departmentally managed classroom over to LSA...

Q.  What is involved in turning a departmentally managed classroom over to LSA to become a centrally scheduled classroom?

A.  The process for turning a departmentally managed classroom over to LSA to become a centrally scheduled classroom typically involves:

1. ISS works with the department to identify departmental priorities
  2. From those conversations, ISS would send the Registrar’s Room Scheduling Office staff the priority times your department would need blocked off for weekly scheduled departmental activities (brown bags, faculty meetings, staff meetings, etc) for the entire semester. This is typically between 2-6 hours per week per room.
  3. ISS and the department would also identify any significant annual events which might need to be blocked off (for the sciences, these include week-long or month-long camps and outreach activities in the Spring/Summer sessions).
  4. Together with the departmental Undergraduate Secretary, ISS would communicate to the Registrar’s Room Scheduling Office that the particular department should have priority to schedule courses for Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer sessions. ISS would also confirm with the Undergraduate Secretary the regular process by which she/he would communicate directly with Room Scheduling about any changes to priority courses in future (specific numbers, specific faculty, etc.).
  5. After Room Scheduling places departmental weekly activities and departmental priority courses, the Registrar’s Office would schedule all other courses (LSA and non-LSA courses) that fit the room attributes.
  6. All non-recurring events (one-time events, interviews, job talks, faculty-student meetings, one-time presentations) would need to be scheduled directly with the Registrar’s Office Room Scheduling. Any free times would be filled on a first-come first-served basis.

Q. What are the advantages of turning a departmental room over...

Q.  What are the advantages of turning a departmental room over to the College to become a centrally scheduled classroom?

A.  The advantages of having a room turned over to the College to become centrally scheduled are:

1. The room would be added to the LSA ISS schedule for room upgrades.
  2. LSA ISS would maintain, troubleshoot and repair any equipment in the room.
  3. LSA ISS staff would be available to train faculty how to use the equipment in the room
  4. LSA ISS Help Desk Staff would be available for basic technical assistance/support calls between the hours of 8am-10pm M-Th, and 8am-5pm Fr.

Q. The classroom I’m teaching in is equipped with a TV cart. Can I connect...

Q.  The classroom I’m teaching in is equipped with a TV cart. Can I hook up my laptop to the TV?

A.  Unfortunately you cannot. A laptop uses a VGA cable to connect to a projection device. The TV has RCA inputs that will allow for a VHS or DVD connection but not a laptop. Our TV carts do not have a VGA input so a video projector must be used.

Q. I don’t know how to use the equipment I need for my class...

Q.  I don’t know how to use the equipment I need for my class. Do you offer services to help me learn how to use the equipment?

A.  Yes, our Loan Centers are staffed and maintained by a highly-trained and knowledgeable team of students. We can quickly teach you how to use any of our equipment and answer any of your questions. If you would like assistance for using the equipment with any of our classrooms, we ask that you call 615-0100 or come to a loan center so we can process a request for training. If you encounter problems during your class, please feel free to give us a call and we will assist you.

Q. The room I’m in does not have a video projector...

Q.  The room I’m in does not have a video projector. Can you schedule a different classroom for me?

A.  Unfortunately, ISS does not handle room scheduling. Your departmental secretary can help you with that through the Registrar’s Room Scheduling Office. LSA ISS does, however, have video projectors and laptops that you can borrow during your class time. Please call 615-0100, email lsa-iss-reservations@umich.edu or stop into either of our loan centers to make a reservation.

Q. What equipment comes standard in a classroom?

A.  No minimum standard exists in LSA for classroom equipment.  To learn what equipment is in your classroom, please visit the LSA Instructional Classroom Database.  You will need to authenticate with your Kerberos password.

Q. Whom do I contact when I am having a technical difficulty...

Q.  Whom do I contact when I am having a technical difficulty with the equipment in my classroom?

A.  For all LSA owned centrally scheduled classrooms, you may contact Instructional Support Services at 615-0100 and someone will be able to assist you immediately.

Q. What services am I receiving if I schedule an event...

Q. What services am I receiving if I schedule an event to have a technician on site for the duration of the event versus having a technician simply setup my event?

A.  When a technician is on site for the duration of an event, the technician will be on hand to assist in the event that there are technical difficulties. The technicians are also available to help orchestrate lights, audio, and any video needs during the event. This allows you to focus on your event and have the technician handle all equipment and A/V needs. Please Note: Departments and University Groups will be charged for staffing for special events (ie: all non-class events).

Q. What should I expect when I request assistance from the ISS Help Desk...

Q.  What should I expect when I request assistance from the ISS Help Desk regarding issues with the technology in a classroom (615-0100)?

A.  When calling our help desk, the representative answering your call will first ask all the identifying information about the situation: the building and room number and the professor, GSI, or student’s uniqname. The representative will then inquire about the nature of the problem. They may suggest certain “quick fixes” that may solve the issue without further assistance. If this does not solve the problem and it is an urgent issue requiring immediate attention, the representative will visit the classroom during the class time to attempt a solution.

Q. Our department is interested in a ceiling mounted projector...

Q. Our department is interested in a ceiling mounted projector or a flat panel. Can ISS help us understand how much that might cost?

A. Yes! ISS Design and Engineering is available to help LSA departments develop budgets for audio-visual projects. This basic budget planning assistance is available at no cost to your department.
For very simple projector and flat panel installations, ISS Design and Engineering has developed the following audio-visual system budgets for use as starting points. These basic systems provide for both laptop and DVD/VHS presentation with options for touch panel control or hand-held remote control.
NOTE: These budget templates are for informational purposes only - be sure to contact ISS Design and Engineering before developing a formal audio-visual project budget!
Wall-mounted Flat Panels (rooms up to 15 persons)
Ceiling-mounted Projectors (rooms up to 40 persons)
Cart-mounted Flat Panel (rooms up to 15 persons)
For assistance with audio-visual project development for your LSA department, contact ISS at 734-936-1958 or iss-help@umich.edu.

Q. Our department wants to install an audio-visual system...

Q. Our department wants to install an audio-visual system. Does ISS Design and Engineering provide that service to LSA departments?

A. ISS Design and Engineering is pleased to provide for-fee audio-visual installation project management services to LSA departments. To arrange for an informal consultation on the range of services available to LSA departments, contact ISS at 734-936-1958 or iss-help@umich.edu.

Q. Our department wants to purchase audio-visual equipment...

Q. Our department wants to purchase audio-visual equipment. Does ISS Design and Engineering recommend that LSA departments use particular vendors? Will ISS Design and Engineering help LSA departments ensure that they are getting competitive pricing and quality service from audio-visual vendors?

A. Yes and Yes! For a list of recommended audio-visual vendors, contact ISS at 734-936-1958 or iss-help@umich.edu. ISS Design and Engineering is also happy to consult with LSA departments making audio-visual purchases – reviewing pricing and equipment selections, for example. If an LSA department has encountered difficulty with an audio-visual vendor, ISS Design and Engineering can provide advice and assistance on possible next steps to a positive resolution to the issue.

Q. Does ISS Design and Engineering perform repairs on audio-visual equipment...

Q. Our department has broken audio-visual equipment that was installed by LSA Media Services. Does ISS Design and Engineering perform repairs on audio-visual equipment for LSA departments?

A. No. As recently as a couple of years ago, LSA Media Services (the precursor to LSA Instructional Support Services) did repair equipment in departmental spaces.

However, in accordance with the LSA Space Policy, equipment in departmental spaces is now the responsibility of the individual departments. LSA Instructional Support Services (LSA ISS) does not provide direct support or service on equipment in those rooms. I've attached a copy of the space policy but to save you from reading the entire document, here is the germane snippet from page 4:

On page 4 of the LSA Space Policy under the heading "Instructional Space"

2. LSA units are responsible for maintaining and monitoring the condition of the space and instructional equipment in their departmentally assigned teaching laboratories and classrooms. They may request room renovations from LSA FO or upgrades or replacement of installed media or instructional technology equipment from LSA ISS. The College provides a limited amount of funding (on the order of $225K per year in FY08 for the entire College) through the Instructional Equipment Fund to support LSA units' instructional requests. These funds are requested through the budget process. In the vast majority of cases funding for the outfitting or replacement of equipment in departmentally assigned classrooms, outside of the Instructional Equipment Fund request process, is the responsibility of the LSA unit that is assigned the space.

3. Departments are responsible for maintaining, supporting and monitoring the space, furnishings and equipment in departmentally assigned instructional spaces. Although units may request renovations, upgrades or equipment replacement for these spaces from LSA FO or ISS, in almost all cases such improvements will only be considered if the space is converted into an LSA centrally scheduled classroom.

Q. Who can service or repair audio-visual equipment for LSA departments?

Q. If ISS Design and Engineering doesn’t service or repair audio-visual equipment for LSA departments, who does?

A. LSA Departments can contract with external audio-visual vendors for service and repair of audio-visual equipment. ISS Design and Engineering is very happy to help departments select a vendor that is appropriate for their needs. Please contact ISS at 734-936-1958 or iss-help@umich.edu to arrange for an informal consultation with an ISS engineer.

Q. Can ISS Design & Engineering help us troubleshoot broken equipment?

Q. External audio-visual vendors want to charge my LSA department just to come out and look at our equipment. Is there some way for ISS Design and Engineering to help our department understand what is wrong with our equipment so that we can make informed decisions about how to resolve the issue?

A. Yes! ISS Design and Engineering offers a for-fee “Media-care” Service Level Agreement that does exactly that. For a very nominal annual charge, ISS Design and Engineering staff will trouble-shoot LSA departmental audio-visual equipment and recommend a course of action for repair or replacement. A Media-Care agreement also covers a bi-annual system test and replacement of projector bulbs and filters (bulbs and filters to be purchased by the department).
Leveraging the skill and expertise of ISS Design and Engineering through a Media-Care agreement is a low-cost aid to LSA departments maintaining departmental audio-visual equipment.

Q. I need to purchase a portable projector for my department. How can ISS help?

Q. I need to purchase a portable projector for my department. Can ISS help me select the right one?

A. Absolutely! ISS Design and Engineering is pleased to assist LSA departments in the selection of audio-visual equipment, including portable projectors.

ISS Design and Engineering currently recommends portable projectors from Epson. The following models offer a range of features at price points that won’t break your budget. For additional assistance selecting a projector for your LSA department, contact ISS at 734-936-1958 or iss-help@umich.edu.

Pricing reflects higher-ed discounts from Epson as of March 2010 and is subject to change. For current pricing, contact an audio-visual Strategic Supplier vendor via UofM Procurement.
Epson PowerLite 825 - $825
A budget projector appropriate for displaying laptops in conference rooms and small classrooms.
Epson PowerLite 1925W - $1,699
A bright wide-screen projector appropriate for playing DVDs and displaying wide-screen laptops in conference rooms and small classrooms.
Epson PowerLite 1720 - $899
A light-weight projector appropriate for displaying laptops in conference rooms and small classrooms.
Epson PowerLite 1730W - $1,079
A light-weight wide-screen projector appropriate for playing DVDs and displaying wide-screen laptops in conference rooms and small classrooms.
Epson PowerLite Presenter - $808
A wide-screen projector with integrated DVD player and stereo speakers appropriate for playing DVDs and displaying wide-screen laptops in conference rooms and small classrooms.

Q. Who can help me if I'm teaching in the Undergrad Science Building?

Q.  I’m scheduled to teach a class in the Undergraduate Science Building. I know there's a computer there, but whom do I contact for help?

A.  Requests for help in the USB classrooms should be emailed to: usbtech@umich.edu. If you have other concerns about the building, e.g., access to locked rooms, lights/heat, etc., you should contact usbadmins@umich.edu.

Q. My room is too hot/cold. Whom should I contact?

A.  Although we are not directly in charge of heat and other facilities problems, we are happy to forward the information along to the proper authorities. Please contact LSA Instructional Support Services at 615-0100. We will contact the appropriate individuals at Plant Operations with your concerns.

Q. Whom do I contact for furniture needs, if I need extra chairs and tables?

A.  Please email lsa-movers@umich.edu with all of your classroom furniture needs.

Q.  Can the wireless connections in the classrooms be turned off?

Q.  Can the wireless connections in the classrooms be turned off (to prevent students from playing on their computers during class)?

A.  Unfortunately not. Due to the way the University wireless network is setup, we are unable to turn it off without disrupting service.

Q. How do I know which LSA Buildings have wireless?

A.  Thanks to a major initiative from LSA Dean Terry McDonald, all LSA Buildings have wireless. Please click here for a University of Michigan Wireless Network Locations map.