Duderstadt Gallery: Section 4 - Imperial Cult Temple


Plaster Cast of a Head of Augustus
Modern, 1920s
Plaster, after a white marble original
Kelsey Museum, 4733
U-M Excavations at Pisidian Antioch, 1924

The original marble head was found in the fill of a room
near the Tiberia Platea. It belonged to an over life-size statue,
probably from the Triumphal Arch (Propylon). The original
head, now in the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul, is
missing its nose. The one shown on the cast was modeled
after one from another head of Augustus.


February 18, 2006
Digital Image
Courtesy of J. Matthew Harrington