Department Timeline

1893-1935: Professor Clarence Linton Meader was the first Linguistics professor at UM
- he was Professor of Latin, Sanskrit, Russian, Comparative Philology, and General
Linguistics.

1897: Professor George Hempl was appointed to the newly established Chair of English
Philology and General Linguistics. He later (in 1915) received an honorary doctorate
from UM.

1924: Founding of the Linguistic Society of America (LSA), with three UM faculty
members among its founding members: Professors Charles C. Fries, Samuel Moore,
and Fred Newton Scott. Another founding member of the LSA, Hans Kurath, came
to UM later.

1929: UM's Regents approved the creation of the Laboratory of General Linguistics
and Speech. Its first director was Professor John H. Muyskens.

1932-1938: Professor Henry Arthur Sanders (who taught at UM 1899-1939) was Chair-
man of the new Department of Speech and General Linguistics. He was also the de-
partment's only chair { after his retirement in 1939, the department dropped "General
Linguistics" and became simply the Speech Department. There was no connection be-
tween Sanders' department and the later Linguistics program. Sanders' department
was one of the first in the United States to have "(General) Linguistics" in its official
name.

1933: The First UM Ph.D. in Linguistics was awarded to Florence G. Beall.

1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940: Five summer LSA Linguistic Institutes at UM, all directed by Professor Charles C. Fries.

1939: Professor Charles C. Fries served as President of the Linguistic Society of America.

1942: Professor Hans Kurath served as President of the Linguistic Society of America.

1942: The second UM Ph.D. in Linguistics was awarded to Kenneth L. Pike (who
later became Chair(man) of the UM Linguistics Department, and later still the 1961
President of the Linguistic Society of America).

1945: FOUNDING OF THE PROGRAM IN LINGUISTICS, which was set up and
supervised by a Committee on Linguistics appointed by the Graduate School.

1945-1949: Professor Charles C. Fries was Director of the Linguistics Program. He
also founded UM's English Language Institute.

1945, 1946: Two more LSA Linguistic Institutes at UM, the ¯rst also directed by
Charles Fries.

1947, 1948, 1949, 1950: Four LSA Linguistic Institutes at UM, all directed by Professor
Hans Kurath.

1949-1952: Professor Hans Kurath was Director of the Linguistics Program.

1952-1953: Professor Albert H. Marckwardt was Director of the Linguistics Program.

1953-1954: Professor Joseph K. Yamagiwa was Director of the Linguistics Program.

1954: Another LSA Linguistic Institute at UM, directed by Joseph K. Yamagiwa.

1954-1963: Professor Albert H. Marckwardt was Director of the Linguistics Program.

1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959: Five more LSA Linguistic Institutes, all directed by
Albert Marckwardt.

1959: Ilse Lehiste received her Ph.D. in Linguistics (and later became the 1980 Presi-
dent of the Linguistic Society of America).

1961-1962: Professor Joseph K. Yamagiwa was Director of the Linguistics Program
(soon to be the Linguistics Department).

1962: Professor Albert H. Marckwardt served as President of the Linguistic Society of America.

1962: Charles Fillmore received his Ph.D. in Linguistics (and later became the 1991
President of the Linguistic Society of America).

1963: THE LINGUISTICS PROGRAM BECAME THE DEPARTMENT OF LIN-
GUISTICS, housed at first in Angell Hall.

1963-1968: Professor Herbert Paper was the first chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1965, 1967: Professor Herbert Paper directed two LSA Linguistic Institutes at UM.

1968-1971: Professor John C. Catford was chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1971: David Lightfoot received his Ph.D. (and later became the 2010 President of the
Linguistic Society of America).

1971-1974: Professor William J. Gedney was chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1972: The Department moved to the late unlamented Frieze Building.

1973: LSA Linguistic Institute at UM, directed by Professor William J. Gedney.

1974-1977: Professor Kenneth Lee Pike was chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1977-1982: Professor Kenneth Cushman Hill was chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1982-1984: Professor Eric Rabkin was interim chair(man) of the Linguistics Department.

1985: The Department of Linguistics became a program again.

1985-1986: Professor Robbins Burling was interim director of the Linguistics Program.

1986-1995: Professor Thomas Toon was director of the Linguistics Program.

1995-2000: Professor Marilyn Shatz was director of the Linguistics Program.

1998: The Linguistics Program received a 2011 Departmental Award for Contributions
to the Undergraduate Initiative from UM's College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

2000: Professor Lesley Milroy became the Hans Kurath Collegiate Professor of Lin-
guistics.

2000: THE LINGUISTICS PROGRAM AGAIN BECAME THE LINGUISTICS DE-
PARTMENT; the first chair of the newly restored department was Marilyn Shatz.

2000-2004: Professor Lesley Milroy, the Hans Kurath Collegiate Professor of Linguis-
tics, was chair of the Linguistics Department.

2001: Professor Sarah G. (Sally) Thomason became the William J. Gedney Collegiate
Professor of Linguistics.

2002: Professor Patrice Speeter (Pam) Beddor received the Rackham Graduate School's
John H. D'Arms Faculty Award for Distinguished Graduate Mentoring in the Humanities.

2004-2010: Professor Pam Beddor was chair of the Linguistics Department.

2004: The Department moved from Frieze to the brand new Undergraduate Science
Building; soon afterward, the Frieze Building was demolished.

2006: The Department moved to the fourth floor of Lorch Hall, where we have gorgeous
views from floor-to-ceiling office windows but a few too many floods from various
sources.

2006: Nicholas Pharris (Ph.D. 2006, descriptive linguistics) was selected as the winner
of the 2006 Mary Haas Award by the Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages
of the Americas.

2007: Chandan Narayan (Ph.D. 2006, phonetics) received a Horace H. Rackham Dis-
tinguished Dissertation Award for 2007 (ca. 8 awards were given, selected from a total
of ca. 750 dissertations submitted in 2006).

2008: Catherine Fortin (Ph.D. 2007, syntax) received a Horace H. Rackham Distin-
guished Dissertation Award for 2008 (8 awards were given, selected from a total of 780
dissertations submitted in 2007).

2009: Professor Samuel D. Epstein received the Rackham Graduate School's John H.
D'Arms Faculty Award for Distinguished Graduate Mentoring in the Humanities.

2009: Professor Sally Thomason served as President of the Linguistic Society of America.
2010: Associate Professor Robin Queen received an Arthur F. Thurnau professorship
in recognition of her many contributions to undergraduate education at the University
of Michigan.

2010-2013: Professor Sally Thomason was chair of the Linguistics Department.

2010: Professor Sam Epstein received an Arthur F. Thurnau professorship in recognition of his many contributions to undergraduate education at the University of Michigan.

2011: Assistant Professor Andries Coetzee received the first-ever Linguistic Society of America Early Career Award.

2011: The Linguistics Department received a 2011 Departmental Award for Contributions to the Undergraduate Initiative from UM's College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

2011, 2012: The Linguistics Department received a Faculty Allies Diversity Grant
(renewed in 2012) from the Rackham Graduate School.

2011: Professor Pam Beddor became the John C. Catford Collegiate Professor of Linguistics.

2011: 54 Linguistics concentrators received the B.A. { a record number for our department.

2011-2013: Marlyse Baptista was President of the Society of Pidgin and Creole Linguistics.

2013: The first LSA Linguistic Institute at UM in 40 years, co-directed by Professors Andries Coetzee & Robin Queen.