Languages & Channels
- We currently subscribe to nine international channels.
- There are two modes of viewing: 1) online using a computer's web browser; 2) using a digital TV monitor attached to a physical cable feed (coaxial cable) from DISH Network.
- These international TV channels (IPTV) are prioritized for academic use. Programming is subject to change.
Online Viewing Options
- Three online viewing options are available below. Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight are each plugins that enable your web browser to display video content. They must be installed.
- Off-campus viewing requires that you have the VPN client installed and activated to authenticate yourself as a U-of-M user.
|View via Flash||View via
|View on iPad|
1. Click on "Various 2" on the viewing page to watch RAI Italia. This may change in the future.
2. Click on "Various 1" on the viewing page to watch GloboTV. This may change in the future.
3. Korean is available from Arirang in English and via cable feed only.
See: zap2it.com (you must search for the channel in the guide you're looking for by name).
Requests for Recordings for Instructional Use
Faculty can request digital recordings of programs for verifiable instructional use. To make such a request, please contact LRC_IPTV@umich.edu and be sure to designate the digital delivery method, whether it be a physical DVD for yourself or a DVD to be put on reserve in the LRC's Main Center, a digital file uploaded to your Canvas or CTools website, or other secure online repository, such as M+Box.
Viewing Option Using a Cable TV Monitor
In addition to watching online, you can watch the broadcasts of these channels via the cable television feed provided by DISH Network. These signals are digital, so you must have a comptable TV monitor or else you may need to purchase a digital converter box for your analogue television set. Channel numbers may be represented differently on different monitors, but these international channels usually appear under the "60.x" group (i.e., 60.1, 60.2, etc.). For more information, please refer to the UMTV Frequently Asked Questions webpage.
The University of Michigan also offers the PhiloTV service which provides domestic cable television channels that are viewable online if your computer is connected to a university network. You will need your UMich login credentials for access. This service allows you to watch live broadcasts and record shows to a cloud service through your UMich account. This service is separate from the international TV channels mentioned above.