He, She or They?
March 6, 2012
Can the pronoun "they" be singular? LSA English Professor Anne Curzan explains the singular generic pronoun question, providing evidence for the use of "they"— instead of "he or she"—in reference to a person of unknown or unspecified gender.
Video production by Rob Hess.
TAGS: spin the cube, video, faculty, language lessons
- Improving Interventions With Statistics? Genius!
- Naxos and the Future of Climate Change
- Step It Up with Steph
- Silent Consonants
- Toilets, Ladies, and Exercise
- Worldly Determination
- Far Flung Fieldwork
- Bluegrass as a Cure for the Blues
- Sophia Holley Ellis and the Power of Small Gifts
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES