June 24, 2013
Do you pronounce the "h" in "uh oh"? What about the "g" in "running"? LSA English Professor Anne Curzan examines places where a word's pronunciation and its letters don't quite correspond, revealing that the spelling system of our language is far surpassed by its sounds.
To view more language lessons, click here.
Video production by Natalie Condon and Chloe Hill.
TAGS: spin the cube, video, faculty, language lessons
- Safer Conditions for Workers Worldwide
- The Challenge to Make a More Sustainable Campus
- Meet the Newly Appointed Dean of LSA
- Helping Students Make an Impact
- Slaves and Sharecroppers in Ancient Greece
- Taking Linguistics Outside the Classroom
- Music and Melting Ice
- Jeopardy! Celebrates 50 Years
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Basketball
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES