October 23, 2012
Should you pronounce the "t" in often? What about the "l" in palm? LSA English Professor Anne Curzan examines how a word's pronunciation can change over time, revealing how spelling can be a kind of museum in which past pronunciations are preserved.
Video production by Natalie Condon.
TAGS: spin the cube, video, faculty, language lessons
- Improving Interventions With Statistics? Genius!
- Naxos and the Future of Climate Change
- Step It Up with Steph
- Silent Consonants
- Toilets, Ladies, and Exercise
- Worldly Determination
- Far Flung Fieldwork
- Bluegrass as a Cure for the Blues
- Sophia Holley Ellis and the Power of Small Gifts
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES