Getting the Gold
February 19, 2014 | by Brian Short
Congratulations to LSA’s Meryl Davis and Charlie White who won the United States’ first Olympic gold medals in ice dancing. Davis and White beat out Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir and Russians Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov to take the top prize in Sochi.
Other Olympic ice dancers from LSA include siblings Alex and Maia Shibutani. The “Shib sibs,” as they’re called, placed ninth.
Another Olympic ice dancer with LSA connections, Evan Bates, graduated in December, 2013, with a major in Organizational Studies. Bates and his partner placed eighth.
Photo by Aaron Ontiveroz/Denver PostGetty Images.
Photo by MCT/McClatchy-Tribune/Getty Images.
Cover photo by Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images. Top photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images Sport.
For more U-M Olympians, click here.
TAGS: the michigan difference, students
- The Challenge to Make a More Sustainable Campus
- Meet the Newly Appointed Dean of LSA
- Helping Students Make an Impact
- Slaves and Sharecroppers in Ancient Greece
- Taking Linguistics Outside the Classroom
- Music and Melting Ice
- Jeopardy! Celebrates 50 Years
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Basketball
- Korean Studies and the New Digital Classroom
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES