Getting the Gold
February 19, 2014 | by Brian Short
Congratulations to LSA’s Meryl Davis and Charlie White who won the United States’ first Olympic gold medals in ice dancing. Davis and White beat out Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir and Russians Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov to take the top prize in Sochi.
Other Olympic ice dancers from LSA include siblings Alex and Maia Shibutani. The “Shib sibs,” as they’re called, placed ninth.
Another Olympic ice dancer with LSA connections, Evan Bates, graduated in December, 2013, with a major in Organizational Studies. Bates and his partner placed eighth.
Photo by Aaron Ontiveroz/Denver PostGetty Images.
Photo by MCT/McClatchy-Tribune/Getty Images.
Cover photo by Damien Meyer/AFP/Getty Images. Top photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images Sport.
For more U-M Olympians, click here.
TAGS: the michigan difference, students
- Bridging Opportunity and Achievement
- Fashion Statement
- Diego Rivera and “Detroit’s Sistine Chapel”
- National Arab Orchestra Hits the Right Note
- Black Lives Matter: Context and Collaboration
- Best of All Worlds
- Fast Forward
- Love in Its Original Language
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Legacy in Law
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES