I Have Wended to the Market?
January 28, 2013
Why do some speakers say “I have went” instead of “I have gone”? LSA English Professor Anne Curzan reveals how we often try to create regularity with irregular verbs. Particularly she explores how the defective verb “go” took the place of “wend” and ended up with an incongruous past tense.
Video production by Natalie Condon.
TAGS: spin the cube, video, faculty, language lessons
- The Challenge to Make a More Sustainable Campus
- Meet the Newly Appointed Dean of LSA
- Helping Students Make an Impact
- Slaves and Sharecroppers in Ancient Greece
- Taking Linguistics Outside the Classroom
- Music and Melting Ice
- Jeopardy! Celebrates 50 Years
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Basketball
- Korean Studies and the New Digital Classroom
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES