India in the World
January 13, 2014 | by Susan Hutton
India is a global leader on many fronts: it’s the world’s largest democracy and is home to the world’s largest middle class. Its film industry is among the largest in the world, and Bollywood, the industry’s biggest segment, enjoys immense international popularity and influence. In recent years India has emerged as one of the world’s most vibrant economies, as a geopolitical leader, and is a major force shaping global trends in art and aesthetics.
And it’s the theme for the LSA Winter 2014 semester.
Welcome to India in the World, coordinated by LSA’s Center for South Asian studies. This semester will offer a wide range of programs and events that explore the ways in which India is an influence in everyday life. From films to maps, from specimens to symposia, from conferences on regional power and Islamic arts, and even an exhibit on plants, LSA’s India-themed semester will give students, faculty, and the community the opportunity to explore their assumptions, re-examine their ideas, and embrace India’s growing power and position with understanding, appreciation, and nuance.
To explore topics related to this article, please follow the links below:
- Learn more about India-theme semester
- A Dictionary of Buddhism
- Beyond Bollywood
- Far Flung Fieldwork
- Past theme semester
Photos by Stephanie Berger Photography, Inc. Courtesy of University Musical Society.
- The Challenge to Make a More Sustainable Campus
- Meet the Newly Appointed Dean of LSA
- Helping Students Make an Impact
- Slaves and Sharecroppers in Ancient Greece
- Taking Linguistics Outside the Classroom
- Music and Melting Ice
- Jeopardy! Celebrates 50 Years
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Basketball
- Korean Studies and the New Digital Classroom
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES