October 23, 2012
Should you pronounce the "t" in often? What about the "l" in palm? LSA English Professor Anne Curzan examines how a word's pronunciation can change over time, revealing how spelling can be a kind of museum in which past pronunciations are preserved.
Video production by Natalie Condon.
TAGS: spin the cube, video, faculty, language lessons
- Words Are Power
- Yiddish Studies: Found in Translation
- A Foundation for Libyan Art
- Nothing Neutral About Net Neutrality
- A Welcome from Dean Andrew D. Martin
- Theme Semester Gets the Ball Rolling
- 100 Years Without the Passenger Pigeon
- Twitter, Big Data, and Jobs Numbers
- Small Wonder: Bonsai at Matthaei
LSA TODAY ARCHIVES