Frequently Asked Questions

I am interested in applying to the University of Michigan and I have questions about requirements. How can I find more information?
All admissions are handled through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Answers to many frequently asked questions as well as contact information can be found at: http://www.admissions.umich.edu.

I am a high school and/or recently admitted student interested in the Mathematics Department. How should I go about setting up a visit?
Please contact the Math undergraduate office at math-undergrad-office@umich.edu and we will work with you to set up an appointment with one of our faculty, a meeting with one of our current undergrads, and if you’d like, a class visit. We’ll need to know a date, time, any other appointments you have on campus we’ll have to work around, and an area of mathematics you might be interested in.

How do I declare a Mathematics major or minor?
You need to set up an appointment with a math faculty advisor. Appointments can be made online.

I’m graduating soon and am almost done with my Math major or minor. What do I have to do now?
Minors should e-mail math-undergrad-office@umich.edu and include their UMID and major(s). You’ll need to meet with an advisor to “release” your major. An advisor will go through your transcript with you and sign a form stating you’ve completed your requirements. Appointments can be made online. Don’t forget to also apply for graduation on Wolverine Access.

How do I go about getting permission to register into a course currently “closed” on Wolverine Access?
This depends on the course. If there is a waitlist on Wolverine Access, please add yourself to it.
For Math 105, 115, 116, 215, or 216, you’ll need to contact the undergraduate office for more information. Please stop by 2084 East Hall or e-mail math-permissions@umich.edu.
For all other courses it is best to contact the instructor directly and they can give you further instruction.

How do I set up an appointment with an advisor? Do you have walk-in advising?
We do not have walk-in advising. Appointments can be made online. We also offer career advising!

How do I get my Mathematics Department transfer credit evaluated?
Please visit our transfer credit page for details.

I should have additional AP credits posted on my transcript but I don’t see anything posted yet. What should I do?
The Registrar’s Office runs this as a batch process sometime after the next term begins. If you still don’t see the credits posted by 6 weeks after the end of the term in which you took your first math course, please contact the Registrar’s Office directly.

How would I find a math tutor? Do tutors assist middle or high school students?
This math tutor list includes those tutors interested in assisting middle or high school students.  For U of M students, the free “Math Lab” located in B860 East Hall, offers tutoring up through Math 217.

Does the Mathematics Department offer a research program for students?
The Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program runs every summer for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. This program is now open to non U-M students as well. Applications are usually available in February and due in March.

Why is the Mathematics Department's website so slow and difficult to use?
Marketing.