major gift priorities
- At Matthaei Botanical Gardens
- Bonsai and Penjing Collection: Matthaei Botanical Gardens wants to connect people who love gardens, art, nature, and serenity with our collection of over 50 bonsai and penjing trees. You can help!
- Great Lakes Garden: The Great Lakes Garden will be a critical initiative at the Gardens, conserving and showcasing the major at-risk vegetation types, habitats, and plants of the region to students and the public. The presentation and interpretation will spur visitors to appreciate and explore current issues and research related to Great Lakes native plants and habitats. You can help!
Three additional priorities aim to strengthen safeguards for our treasured collections and landscapes and provide paid internships for students committed to securing a future for our planet.
- Peony Garden Restoration: The famed peony garden needs help to preserve the health and display of its 270 cultivars. This is the largest collection of antique and heirloom peonies in North America. You can help!
- Natural Areas: On the properties of Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, 20% of Michigan's flora is represented. With the state's unique botanical treasures threatened by climate change, fragmentation, suburbanization, and invasive species, we aim to provide a refuge of reclamation and research. You can help!
- Internships: Undergraduates and graduates gain critical career experience in fields relating to environmental stewardship, design and interpretation of gardens and natural areas. You can help the finances and the futures of University of Michigan students!