A Cross-Cultural Culinary Tour of
Plants Around the World
Conservatory Exhibit at Matthaei Botanical Gardens
Nov. 24, 2012– Jan. 6, 2013
Take a seat at our table as we celebrate food around the world this season at Matthaei Botanical Gardens.
In an homage to global foodways, Feast! takes a look at world food traditions and the many ways plants play an indispensable role in cooking, celebrations, holidays, and festivals.
Feast! takes its inspiration from the food plants that grow in the conservatory at Matthaei Botanical Gardens and reveals some fascinating history and facts you might not have known about such plants as vanilla, black pepper, cinnamon, and chocolate.
Throughout the exhibit you’ll also find seasonal flower displays, decorated holiday trees, a fairy and troll village, activities for kids, and more.
- Exhibit highlights:
Nov. 24-25: Open house weekend featuring:
- Live music Nov. 24
- Members sale in the Garden Store
- Spinner's Flock fiber art sale Nov. 24
- A visit from Father Christmas
Dec. 14, 6pm:
- Your table is waiting! Don’t miss this season’s culinary event, The Feast – World Dinner Party, a special holiday dinner and cooking demo prepared by U-M chefs at Matthaei Botanical Gardens. Includes a 6pm pre-dinner guided tour of Feast!, our winter exhibit; ‘mocktails’ in the conservatory; chef's cooking demonstration; appetizers; entrée buffet; and dessert. Dinner begins at 7pm. View the menu.
Please note: Registration for this event is now closed! Thank you.
- Holiday flower display
- Seasonal items in the Garden Store
- Kids' activities
- Free conservatory admission
- Fairy and troll village
- Open New Year's Day