2012 u-m nichols arboretum peony festival
May 15 - June 5
1610 Washington Hts., Ann Arbor
Last winterís warm March put the peony garden on a fast track. We expect the garden to bloom at least a couple of weeks early this year. Weíre still expecting a bountiful peony seasonódonít miss the largest collection of antique and heirloom peonies in North America!
- 90th anniversary of the donation of peonies to the University. The Peony Garden was donated to Nichols Arboretum in 1922 by Dr. W. E. Upjohn, founder of the Upjohn Pharmaceutical Company in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was designed by former Arboretum director Aubrey Tealdi and opened to the public in 1927.
- Self-guided tours, peony-inspired artwork in the Reader Center.
- Free musical performance May 23: Click here for information.
- Free staff-led tours: Click here for dates and information
- Nearly 10,000 blooms at peak flowering.
The Arboretum is open sunrise to sunset.
Photography note: Best times for capturing great images of the peonies are before 10:00 am and after 6:30 pm. The late-morning and midday sun tends to wash out colors.
For updates on the Garden, visit our peony garden page, Facebook page, or call for more information.