Michigan Biology Academy Scholars Program
If you are accepted to the M-Bio Academy, we will ask you to read and sign a participant agreement that pledges you will meet all of the following program requirements:
- Attend the M-Bio Summer Program, June 23, 2013 – August 14, 2013, and adhere to all the guidelines of the program as outlined in the M-Bio Academy Program Handbook. These include:
- Attend and report on time to all group meals, classes and scheduled activities of the M-Bio Summer Program, including those in the evenings and on the weekends.
- Remain within a set of defined campus boundaries, for the duration of the program unless the M-Bio Program is officially involved in activities that fall outside of these boundaries.
- Forego possession and use of a motorized vehicle on campus during the Summer Program.
- Abide by the established nightly curfew.
- Adhere to all guidelines of conduct within the residence hall and during program activities.
- Successfully complete the three M-Bio summer term courses for a total of eight credits.
- Adhere to course schedules as developed in consultation with M-Bio staff, academic advisors and academic coaches.
- Work closely with M-Bio Academy staff when planning your extra-curricular or part-time employment activities during the academic year.
- Forego pledging a fraternity or sorority during the first academic year.
- Abide by all University policies (e.g. policies regarding use of illegal drugs, alcohol, etc.)
- Participate in designated academic support activities during the first two years, including participating in weekly two-hour peer-led study groups associated with introductory science courses.
- Attend all designated personal and professional development forums organized by the M-Bio Program during the first two years.
- Meet with the M-Bio Academy Academic Coach regularly during the academic year to discuss academic progress.
- Meet with an assigned Academic Advisor regularly to plan academic courses and scheduling.
- Commit your best efforts to all M-Bio Academy activities and work diligently to achieve academic excellence and success.
- Contribute your individual skills and strengths to the overall success of the M-Bio Academy community.
- Maintain a term and cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 to remain in good standing. Receiving lower that a 3.0 GPA will result in M-Bio probation. To assist students on probation to achieve the required 3.0 GPA, there will be weekly sessions with the Academic Coach and student will follow prescribed actions.
- Receive at least a B- in all of the required math courses before proceeding to the next higher math level. If you do not receive at least a B- in a math course, you must repeat that course.
- Participate in a paid 10-week, full-time research internship during the summer of 2014. The M-Bio Program will assist students in obtaining a paid summer research opportunity.
Upon successful completion of the Summer Program, M-Bio students will receive a $1,500 stipend and eight credits toward their degree.