Greetings from MCDB
This enews brings you an update on the department over the last year.
- We are pleased to introduce new faculty member JK Nandakumar.
- This fall, we also welcomed 12 new doctoral students and 3 students in our Pathways Masters Program.
- Our faculty are publishing in top journals and being recognized for their innovative work as is evident in Sara Aton's NIH Innovator Award.
- We continue to address the needs of our undergraduate students. Read about our participation in E2Coach, a personalized electronic coaching program developed at UM. More innovations in STEM education are planned for the next year.
- An overview of our department was captured in a video shown at 2013 American Society of Cell Biology Annual Meeting in December. View the MCDB video on YouTube.
- This fall, as UM kicked off the Victors for Michigan capital campaign, we have targeted several priorities, including a laboratory for biological imaging and undergraduate summer research fellowships. Learn more on our Donation Opportunities web page.
- Mark your calendars for the Priscilla Connell Memorial Lecture on May 21, 2014.
We wish you a happy and productive 2014.
Pamela A. Raymond, Ph.D.
Stephen S. Easter Collegiate Professor and Chair
Department of Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology
Assistant Professor Jayakrishnan (JK) Nandakumar joined the department in September. His research interest is telomerase, the enzyme that adds nucleotides to the ends of chromosomes.