Medieval and Early Modern Studies

MEMS Certificate Program: Community, Research, and Funding

Why join the MEMS Certificate Program? Current PhD Candidate Julia LaPlaca writes: "I am pursuing a MEMS certificate in order to enrich my scholarship through more global approaches to the period and to network with scholars outside of my content area and discipline. Participating in the MEMS community has been one of the highlights of my graduate education. The classes I took for the certificate exposed me to a diverse range of scholarship on the medieval and early modern world, which has greatly enriched the work I do in my area of specialization. The professors and students I met in these classes--many of them outside of my discipline of art history-- have become important friends and mentors. I've also appreciated the financial support I've received through the MEMS summer funding grants, which prioritizes certificate holders. MEMS has supported my research and/or language training three out of my four summers here at UM." 

To learn more about the certificate and how to apply, click here.

Welcome to another academic year!

Medieval and Early Modern Studies is an interdisciplinary program with students and faculty from departments and degree programs across the university. Among similar programs nationally and internationally, MEMS is distinctive for its global conception—embracing work on the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and the Americas as well as Europe, the traditional focus of MEMS scholarship.

Erin L. Brightwell 
   Associate Professor of Premodern Japanese Literature
   Director, Medieval and Early Modern Studies

New Faculty Books

We are pleased to once again feature new books by our esteemed faculty members. This is what keeps Medieval and Early Modern Studies relevant and intriguing.  I hope you will enjoy further exploring our Recent Faculty Books.

Show your Support

We strive to support our students and faculty on the front lines of learning and research and to steward our planet, our community, our campus. To do this, the program in Medieval and Early Modern Studies needs your support.