Eating out in DC is more expensive than Ann Arbor. However, there is a wide variety of cuisine for almost every taste and budget. Past students assembled this list of favorites.
17th Street Area
- Cafe Dupont, Kramerbrook and Komi (sushi) are pricey options
- Bertucci's Brock Oven Pizzeria, Julia's Empanadas, New Dynasty (Chinese) and Chop't (salads) are good for those on a tight budget.
Other DC Favorites
- Carmine's (family style dining), Sushi Taro, Jaleo (tapas), Nhu Lan (Japanese), and Ben's Chili Bowl (Obama's hot dog joint)
- The Palm ("Best Power Lunch")
- There's a list of delivery menus on the wall next to the security office in the UCDC center.
Shopping in DC requires planning what you need and how you'll carry it. Carts are available to borrow in the UCDC lobby. Bring reusable cloth bags if you have them; there is a 5 cent charge for each plastic and paper bag that you use.
- Safeway (1701 Corcoran St, NW) Sign up for a Safeway Club Card (free) and save $$
- Whole Food (1440 P St, NW)
- Trader Joe's (1101 25th St. NW)
- CVS (6 Dupont Circle) 24 hours, includes pharmacy (may not fill out of state prescriptions)
- Target (3100 14th St. NW)
- Radio Shack (1100 15th St. NW)
- Staples (1901 L St. NW)