FAQs

What is a Michigan Learning Community
Why should I join a Michigan Learning Community? 
What are the differences between the programs?
How will these programs help me be a successful student at UM?
Can I apply to several MLC programs?
How do I apply?

What is a Michigan Learning Community? 

Learning communities are what a college education is all about! Students and faculty from many different backgrounds come together to discuss ideas, be creative, grow personally, advance intellectually, and make lifelong friendships. These programs can make it easy to integrate your academic challenges and your social experiences into your college life. Each community is designed to support your efforts to broaden understandings, succeed academically, and pursue your dreams; and each individual contributes to the community's well-being. The Michigan Learning Communities provide a rich selection of different program options, but all focus on learning and community.

back to top

• To enjoy a small college atmosphere and benefit from a large university's resources
  • To meet faculty and be engaged with intellectual ideas
  • To study and to build lasting friendships with peers from many different backgrounds
  • To be an involved and active student whose individuality is noticed
  • To ease the transition from high school to college

back to top

Programs vary in several ways, including academic and participation requirements, thematic focus, residential or non-residential setting, size, and eligibility by college and class standing. Visit the program websites in order to identify differences among specific programs.

back to top

Students who are engaged in their learning and feel connected to their university are more likely to be successful in their undergraduate studies. It is easier for many students to be engaged and feel connected with a large university when they participate in a small learning community; it allows them to take advantage of opportunities to meet faculty and to make close friendships with peers around ideas and academic studies. They are more likely, in their first year, to make a succesful transition from high school to college and to build a strong academic and social foundation for success in subsequent years.

back to top

Can I apply to several MLC programs? 

Yes! You can apply to several MLC programs, and you will be asked to rank up to three program preferences and submit the required essay(s) for each. Students can participate in both a residential and a non-residential learning community. However, you can participate in just one residential MLC program because you'll be required to live in the residence hall where that program is housed.

back to top

How do I apply? 

Refer to the How to Apply section for complete application information.

back to top