2013 marks 150 years since Cavafy's birth and 80 years since his death.
Early in the year the C.P. Cavafy Chair at the University of Michigan invited several diaspora Greek intellectuals from around the world to participate in the celebration by writing for the "Forum" a short piece on "the meaning of Cavafy today - his life, poetry, prose, reflections, letters, photos, translations, status, reception," whatever they might like.
The idea was to listen to a variety of voices of the Greek intellectual diaspora in the 21st century. A very special effort was made to also include people who have not published on Cavafy and who are not scholars of literature.
Suggested length was 200 words but shorter or longer pieces were also perfectly acceptable. Contributors could use any language, style, and format. Happily people responded by using diverse media and idioms.
My only responsibility was to select and invite prospective contributors. All contributions are posted here without any editorial intervention.
We are honoring the ultimate diaspora poet on his anniversary by posting simultaneously all these contributions.
- Nicholas Alexiou, Sociology Professor, Queens College, Cuny, Cavafy's Sociological Imagination and Greeks in America
- Yiorgos Anagnostou, Associate Professor of Modern Greek and American ethnic Studies, The Ohio State University, A December Day, 2012
- Eleni Bastea, Professor in School of Architecture and Planning, University of New Mexico, Cavafy Makes Me Cry
- Peter Bratsis, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Borough of Manhattan Community College, City University of NewYork, Dignity and Immortality
- Stephane Charitos, Director, Language Resource Center, Columbia University, In a small European Colony circa 2013 A.D.
- Stavros Constantinou, Associate Professor of Geography, The Ohio State University, One of the Most Important Modern Greek Poets
- Nickitas Demos, DMA, Professor of Composition, Artistic Director, neoPhonia New Music Ensemble, Georgia State University, Universal Relevance
- Nancy Exarhu, Artist, St. Louis, Document from What Kavafis Means Today
- Stathis Gauntlett, Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities, Waiting for the Poseidonians
- Dan Georgakas, Director of the Greek American Studies Project, Center for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, Queens College, NewYork, Saying "yes"
- Aris Georgopoulos, Lecturer in European and Public Law, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, Subverting Preconceived Notions
- Kiki Gounaridou, Professor, Smith College, Ariadne, Kavafy, me, and Chloe
- Eleni Gourgou, Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Cavafy's Importance Today
- Ioannis N. Grigoriadis, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey, On the Meaning of Cavafy Today
- Anthony Kaldellis, Professor of Classics, The Ohio State University, Late Antiquity, not early Byzantium
- George Kalogeris, Assistant Professor, Department of English, Suffolk University, On the Deck of a Ship
- Gerasimus Katsan, Assistant Professor of Modern Greek, Queens College, CUNY, For Greeks Like Us
- Stefanos Katsikas, Director of Modern Greek Studies Program, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Cavafy the "Historian Poet"
- Alexander Kitroeff, Professor of History, Haverford College, Cavafy's Alexandria and the Arab Spring
- Irene Kitsou-Milonas, Head of Section, Department for the Execution of the European Court of Human Rights Judgements, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, Reading Cavafy
- John Korachis, John F. Korachis and Associates, PLC, Detroit, Letter to Cavafy
- Barbara Lekatsas, Professor of Comparative Literature, Hofstra University, NY, The Memory Tree and Pense de Midi: Camus, Cavafy, and Chahine
- Christos Likos, Professor, Faculty of Physics, University of Vienna, Austria, Cavafy in Italian
- Natalie Melas, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Comparative Literature, Cornell University, Training in Cerebral Emotions
- Hercules Millas, Political Scientist, Athens, Three Different Meanings
- Kostas Myrsiades, Professor Emeritus of Comparative Literature, West Chester University, Eros and History
- Nicholas Nehamas, Harvard University Graduate 2011, Reporter for Latitude News, MA, Being Greek is an Idea
- Kalliopi Nikolopoulou, Associate Professor of Comparative Literature, University of Buffalo, Receiving Cavafy, the Poet of Reception
- Maria Oikonomou, Department of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, University of Vienna and Ulrich Meurer, Professor of Film and Media Studies, University of Vienna, Cavafy Machine
- Spyros Orfanos, Clinic Director, New York University Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, On the Significance of Cavafy Today
- Victor Panaretos, Assistant Professor, Institute of Mathematics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland, Contrasts and Reconciliations
- Neni Panourgia, Visiting Associate Professor, Anthropology Department, Bard College and ICLS, Heyman Center for the Humanities, Columbia University, Athens, Days of 1972
- Eftychia Papanikolaou, Associate Professor of Musicology, Bowling Green State University, On Cavafy, then and now
- Zeese Papanikolas, Writer, Oakland, CA, In the Month of Hathor
- Dia Philippides, Professor of Classical Studies, Boston College, Honoring Cavafy is a Pleasure
- Pantelis Polychronidis, PhD, Collaborative Piano Faculty, Institute for the International Education of Students, Vienna, Poets, Composers, Performers
- Eric Poulos, Attorney, NY, Taking Chances
- Kostis Protopapas, Artistic Director, Tulsa Opera, Tulsa Oklahoma, Thoughts on C.P. Cavafy
- Kostas Rekleitis, PhD in Music Composition, University of Edinburgh, A Composer's View
- Anita Skarpathiotis, Lecturer, Department of Classics and Mediterranean Studies, University of Illinois, Cavafy's Language
- Nicholas Spanos, Countertenor and Composer, Vienna, Times; A few; Moments; Unions; They did not Grow Old
- Yona Stamatis, Assistant Professor of Music, University of Illinois-Springfield, Ode to Cavafy
- Elsa Stamatopoulou, Director of Indigenous Peoples' Rights Program, Institute for the Study of Human Rights; Adjunct Professor, Center for the Study of Ethnicity and Race and Department of Anthropology, Columbia, The Significance of Cavafy Today
- Denny Stavros, Educator, Dearborn, Michigan, Summer Mornings
- Dimitri Tolios, Residential College, University of Michigan, Odysseys in Social Networks
- Diane Touliatos-Miles, University of Missouri Curators' Professor; Professor of Musicology, Department of Music; Director of the Center for the Humanities, University of Missouri, St. Louis, The Cavafy - Mitropoulos Connection: Poetry Set to Music
- Demetrios Tryphonopoulos, University Research Professor, A/Dean, School of Graduate Studies, Professor, Department of English; Secretary, Ezra Pound Society,University of New Brunswick, A Wordsmith
- Vicky Tsaconas, Writer, Melbourne, Passage of Time
- Christos Tsiamis, Chief Engineer and Project Manager, Gowanus Canal Superfund, Environmental Protection Agency, NY, Blowing 150 Candles (and making a wish) on Mr. Constatine Cavafy's birthday
- Vassilis P. Tzevelekos, Lecturer in Public International Law, Law School, University of Hull, The Meaning of Cavafy Today
- Dimitris Vardoulakis, Lecturer, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney, What hides under the bed?