Students

A diverse group of students are the heart of the Michigan Research Community. This year, MRC includes students from Engineering, Literature Science and the Arts, Kinesiology and Nursing. Nearly a third of MRC students are from out-of-state and 10% are International students. MRC students represent a variety of academic majors, research interests, racial and ethnic backgrounds and geographic regions. Read a few of the things MRC students say about their experience:

The MRC introduced me to both a fantastic group of friends and an amazing research laboratory that I will continue to work for throughout my college career. No other program could have given me so many opportunities.  — Scott Perry, Aerospace Engineering, 2011

Living and learning in the MRC has truly been the keystone of my first two years at the University of Michigan. It is not only a source of academic support, but also a source of friendships I'll cherish for the rest of my life.  — Arden Trickey-Glassman, Neuroscience, 2011

When entering the University of Michigan I was afraid I would have a hard time making new friends since I did not know anyone coming in. The Michigan Research Community gave me the opportunity to make awesome new friends right away.  Being exposed to real research as a freshman was also a great experience that I have been able to talk about in interviews for internships. The interviewers like hearing that I have had experience with faculty in a work setting and about the communication skills I gained.  — Nicholas Orichella, Chemical Engineering, 2011

The MRC has provided an intimate community setting where I feel at home in a large and sometimes daunting university. I had the opportunity to work closely with a faculty member on her research which was an amazing experience that has opened many new pathways for my future.  — Margie Webb, Neuroscience, 2011

To learn more about current MRC students, visit the Meet Current Students section.

You can also find more information about the benefits and requirements of MRC in the Program Components section, then visit the Interested in Applying section for details on the application process.