How many people apply to the program and how many are admitted?
Past application cycles garnered anywhere between 140 – 200 applications.  Due to limited faculty resources the target admission class size is 50-60.

What is the average GPA of incoming students in the OS program?
The average cumulative GPAs of entering students from 2004-2012 ranged between 3.5 and 3.7. It is important to remember that this is an average, and there is no minimum GPA requirement. We encourage students to maintain a strong cumulative GPA in order to remain competitive with their peers, but all applications will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee, regardless of their cumulative GPA. Also remember that GPA is not the only criterion for gaining admission to the program. The Admissions Committee also reviews student performance in the three prerequisite courses and the quality of the essay submitted with the application.

What are the prerequisites for applying to the program?
Psychology 111, 112, 114, or 115 and
Sociology 100, 102, or 195 and
Economics 101

Can I take prerequisite courses on a pass-fail basis?
While there is no rule against taking prerequisite courses on a pass-fail basis, we recommend that you take these courses for a grade. It will provide the Admissions Committee with more evidence about your academic preparation for the program.

Can I transfer in my prerequisite courses from another institution?
Yes, transfer credit may be used to fulfill prerequisites. For transfer credit, applicants must provide OS with original transcripts from the institution where the courses were completed.  The institution from which course credits are transferred may be taken into account in admissions deliberations.

Can AP credit be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements?
Yes, AP credit can be used to fulfill prerequisite course requirements.

I don’t have all my prerequisite courses completed. Can I still apply to the OS program?
Applications will only be accepted if at least two of the required three prerequisite courses have been completed and the student is enrolled in the third prerequisite course at the time of application. We strongly encourage students to have completed all three prerequisite courses before the application deadline. This provides the Admissions Committee with the most complete picture of candidates’ preparation for the OS program.

Will taking a lot of OS courses before the application cycle increase my chances of admission to the program?
While an applicant's whole transcripts are considered by the Admissions Committee, Organizational Studies courses are not given extra weight.  Students should be advised to take courses that would meet requirements for distribution and for other concentrations besides OS.

I am a transfer student. Can I still apply to OS?
Yes.  Transfer students may apply to OS provided they have completed all the prerequisites required for application. In addition, applicants must provide OS with original transcripts from any institution attended, if the courses taken at that institution were transferred to the University of Michigan. Transfer students must also be aware that if they are accepted, it may be necessary to delay in graduation because the program requires at least three semesters in residence on the Ann Arbor campus, beginning with the Fall semester following their admission to the program. We advise transfer students to communicate the fact that they are a transfer student when they submit their application.

How can I make myself an outstanding candidate for the OS program?
The Admissions Committee seeks candidates who have a passion for the study of organizations and who have demonstrated academic preparation for the rigor of the program. The Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach to making decisions about applications. Each aspect of the application from overall academic performance to the quality of the essay is given equal consideration. Admission is highly competitive. There is no exact “formula” for acceptance.

What other materials and documentation should I submit with my application?
Due to the volume of applications that are submitted, no additional materials are required for application to Organizational Studies.

What else can I do to prepare to apply to the OS program?
The best thing you can do to prepare is to perform as well as possible in your courses and give a good amount of time and attention to your essay question response.

Because our application process is very competitive, we strongly recommend that you develop a “Plan B." Consider what other concentrations interest you. The typical admissions rate for the program is approximately 30%. This means that roughly 70% of OS applicants must select an alternate concentration. When planning your classes before applying to OS, make sure that your choices will fit not only OS requirements, but also prepare you to pursue another major of interest to you.  Plan your course work to allow you to pursue more than one concentration to avoid having to play “catch up” in another concentration if you are not admitted to OS.

How do I make an appointment to see a program representative?
Prospective concentrators can make an appointment to meet with our Student Services Coordinator or our Peer Mentors via our online advising calendar.  

Must I forward my application materials to the OS program together or can I send parts separately?
The OS application is an online form, and there are sections to upload both your essay and your resume as part of the online form. Transcripts will also be reviewed as part of the application (both UM and external), but you do not need to send them in separately. By submitting the application, you give permission to the OS program to access your UM transcript and any external transcripts that have been received at UM. We will contact you with any questions about your educational records.

When will I find out about the results of my application?
Students will be informed about the admissions decision (by email) typically the week before spring break. Admitted students will be required to attend an evening orientation meeting shortly after spring break.

When should I apply to the OS concentration?
The OS Program admits students once a year, during the winter semester. You should plan to apply in the winter term of your sophomore year. To apply, you must have completed at least two of the three prerequisites and be enrolled in the third. Please also note that you can only apply to the OS Program once.

I'm considering applying to the Organizational Studies Program, and I've read through all the web site materials. What is the best way to obtain further information?
Each semester, the Organizational Studies Program conducts a "OS Information Session." Attending this session will allow you to meet program faculty, staff, and students, hear a presentation about the program and the admissions process, and participate in a question and answer session. If you are not able to attend the session, you can make an appointment to meet with our Student Services Coordinator, or with the OS Peer Mentors online through the on-line advising calendar.