Who We Are
The Friends of the University of Michigan Museum of Paleontology, more commonly known as “The Friends,” are a group united by their love of fossils. Founded in 1971, “The Friends” support the activities, research, and study of fossils at the University of Michigan Museum of Paleontology. Contact us at: FUMMPinfo@gmail.com for more information.
- Opportunities to assist with the research of top-notch scientists at the University of Michigan’s Museum of Paleontology.
- Engage in public outreach at the annual ID Day at the museum.
- Exclusive access to our field trips in limestone quarries, where the general public is not allowed.
- Learn how to properly identify, prepare, and preserve fossils.
Types and Fees:
An individual or family membership is $15 annually. A family membership allows multiple members of the same family to join (with only one vote at meetings/elections).
The FUUMP meets the first Friday of every month (unless otherwise noted). Meetings are held from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in Room 1532 of the Ruthven Museum Building at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (December and August meetings held elsewhere). There are no meetings in January or July.
- January - No Meeting
- February 7, 2014
- March 7, 2014
- April 11, 2014
- May 2, 2014
- June 6, 2014
- July 2014- No Meeting
- August 2014- Summer BBQ
- September 5, 2014
- October 3, 2014
- November 7, 2014
- December 2014- Holiday Party
UMMP has assisted with the following:
- The mastodon display by Dr. Daniel Fisher in the Exhibit Museum at the University of Michigan.
- The use of 3-D modeling software and a digital camera to document specimens in Dr. Daniel Miller’s invertebrate lab.
This searchable archive of fossils currently consists of ~1500 images for ~700 taxa. It showcases Michigan Basin fossils from our members’ private fossil collections and select specimens from the University of Michigan collection, including type specimens.
This archive also links to Deep Blue and the Paleobiology Database as educational resources for the fossils within.
It can be accessed via the following URL: http://michiganbasinfossils.org