Nov 29, 2012
Discovery of the Higgs Boson Special Panel Discussion
December 5, 2012 4:00-5:30 PM
Rackham Amphitheater (4th Floor)
After decades of searching, the Higgs particle was finally observed at the Large Hadron Collider. This historic discovery is a tremendous step forward in science.
Experimental and Theoretical Discussions on:
- Particle physics history of the past half century, and how it relates to the Higgs boson.
- The role of UM in experiments to unlock the mystery of electroweak symmetry breaking
- Particle physics detector design and construction at UM
- The Higgs boson discovery with the ATLAS detector at the CERN Large Hadron Collider
- The significance and impact of the Higgs discovery in future particle physics
The physicists will field questions at the panel's conclusion.