Michigan was one of the first schools in the country to organize a department devoted entirely to the study of politics. The first political science course was taught in 1860 by Thomas McIntyre Cooley within the law department, followed by courses on International Law taught by President James B. Angell. The Department of Political Science was officially established in the College of Literature, Science and Arts in 1910.
Today the department has over 50 faculty members, 120 graduate students and approximately 1,000 undergraduate concentrators. Many students and faculty combine their study and research in Political Science with other academic interests such as public policy, public health, economics, philosophy and more to prepare for advanced studies or specific careers. The program has gained national and international recognition for the achievements of faculty members and students. The Department takes pride in its members' varied accomplishments as teachers, writers, consultants and advisors to public officials.