These fellowships are provided during the final term of a student’s 5-year funding plan to support their dissertation defense. A Psychology Dissertation Fellowship may include stipend, tuition, fees and health insurance for one term, but may be reduced based on the student's funding need for the term.
Students are expected to devote full time to their dissertations during the tenure of this fellowship and should defend their PhDs in the term that the fellowship is received. Please note that there are three rounds a year for this fellowship, one for each term (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer).
Who Should Apply?
Students who plan to defend their dissertations during the Winter 2013 term.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- An Approval of Dissertation Prospectus form must be on file in the Student Academic Affairs Office.
- Recipients may not be employed during the tenure of this fellowship.
- Recipients must have met their departmental teaching requirements by completing a minimum of 2 terms of GSI appointments, or more if stated in the student's funding plan.
- Recipients may not hold this award in conjunction with another award.
- Preference will be given to those who have collected their data and/or will be writing their thesis during the term of the award.
- Preference will be given to those who are completing their degree within 5 years (or 6 years if stated in the student's initial funding plan).
- It is expected that recipients will obtain the Ph.D. in the term of the award or within the Rackham doctoral degree deadlines listed on Rackham’s website.
- A brief outline of the progress on your dissertation and a timetable for completion.
- An abstract of your prospectus.
- A statement by your dissertation chair which includes the following items. This statement can be submitted by email to email@example.com.:
- verification that the prospectus has been accepted;
- that you will not be employed during the tenure time of the fellowship;
- an evaluation of how realistic both the progress report and projected timetable.
Please submit your materials (either hardcopy of electronic) to the Student Academic Affairs Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).