This fellowship is offered by the Center for the Education of Women and is intended as an award of high distinction and is presented to "women held in the highest esteem by their faculty." The amount of the fellowship will be determined by individual need, and more than one may be awarded. Awards will be announced in mid-May, 2013.
Women graduate students enrolled for the 2013-14 academic year in a social science or humanities doctoral program in the College of LS&A, who have completed at least four terms at the U of M at the time of application. Departmental nomination is required.
- Evidence of academic excellence and capacity for intellectual growth.
- Clarity of scholarly and professional goals.
- Potential to make a contribution (broadly defined) of exceptional usefulness to society.
Each Area can submit one nomination. Nominations should be submitted to the Student Academic Affairs Office by January 9, 2013, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For each nominee, the Area Chair needs to submit the following materials:
- Two letters of recommendation from people knowledgeable about the candidate's qualifications.
- Candidate's two-page personal statement regarding her scholarly and professional goals, and a two-page description of her scholarly work.
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- Candidate's statement of a projected budget for 2013-14, indicating how she expects to finance education and living expenses without the Fellowship. This should include information about any fellowships or external funding that have been awarded for 2012-13. If your nomination is chosen to be forwarded to the CEW, you will be required to complete the CEW's Financial Statement form. This form has not been received yet by the SAA Office.
The Psychology SAA Committee will review all nominations at its January meeting and forward one nomination to the CEW for further consideration. For the application that is selected, the Area Chair for that student will be asked to submit a letter of nomination.