||FACULTY PROFILE — Cheryl King
Professor, Director of the Institute for Human Adjustment
Ph.D. Indiana University
Psychology Office: Rachel Upjohn Building, Room 2129, 4250 Plymouth Road
Psychology Phone: 734-764-3168
Alternate Office: 2564 EH
Alternate Phone: 734-615-7853
Research and Teaching Interests
My research focuses on the development and improvement of evidence-based screening tools, risk assessment strategies, and psychosocial interventions for suicidal adolescents and young adults. I am currently conducting two NIMH-funded intervention development studies. One of these involves implementing and validating a suicide risk screening protocol and treatment linkage intervention for adolescents who are seeking emergency medical services. The brief intervention, based in motivational interviewing and health behavior theories, aims to link adolescents who screen positive to community services. The second intervention development study involves developing a screening and treatment linkage strategy for college students. Finally, I am conducting a series of studies aimed at improving youth suicide risk assessment instruments and strategies.
- King, C.A., Klaus, N., Kramer, A., Venkataraman, S., Quinlan, P., Gillespie, B. (in press). The Youth-Nominated Support Team for suicidal adolescents - Version II (YST-II): A randomized controlled efficacy trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
- King, C.A., O’Mara, R.M., Hayward, C.N., Cunningham, R.M. (in press). Adolescent suicide risk screening in the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine.
- Klaus, N.M., Mobilio, A., King, C.A. (2009). Parent-adolescent agreement concerning adolescents’ suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 38(2), 245-255.
- King, C.A., Kramer, A. (2008). Intervention research with youths at elevated risk for suicide: Meeting the ethical and regulatory challenges of informed consent and assent. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 38(5), 486-497.
- Huth-Bocks, A., Kerr, D.C.R, Ivey, A.Z, Kramer, A.C., King, C.A. (2007). Assessment of psychiatrically hospitalized suicidal adolescents: Self-report instruments as predictors of suicidal thoughts and behavior. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 46:3, 387-395.
- Weissman, M.M., Pilowsky, D.J., Wickramaratne, P., Talati, A., Wisniewski, S., Fava, M., Hughes, C.W., Garber, J., Malloy, E., King, C., Cerda, G., Sood, A.B., Alpert, J.E., Trivedi, M.H., Rush, A.J. (2006). Remissions in Maternal Depression and Child Psychopathology. A STAR*D-Child Report. JAMA, 295(12), 1389-1398.
- King, C.A., Cubic, B. (2005). Women psychologists within academic health systems: Mentorship and career advancement. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical School Settings, 12(3), 271-280.