||FACULTY PROFILE — Lorraine Gutierrez
Area Chair of Joint Program in Social Work & Psychology, Arthur F Thurnau Professor Professor of Psychology, Professor of Social Work, and Director of the Center for Community Learning
Ph.D. University of Michigan
Area: Personality & Social Contexts
Psychology Office: 3239 East Hall
Psychology Phone: 734-936-9124
Alternate Office: 2778 SSWB
Alternate Phone: 734-936-1450
Research and Teaching Interests
My research is focused on empowerment theory and practice, the experiences of women of color, and multicultural organizational and community change strategies. I coordinate the Detroit Initiative in Psychology: a program of scholarship, teaching and service with community based organizations in Detroit. My work includes qualitative, quantitative, and community based research.
- L. Gutiérrez, E. Lewis, B. Nagda, L. Wernick & N. Shore (2005). Multicultural Community Practice Strategies and Intergroup Empowerment. L. Weil, et al. Handbook of Community Practice. Sage Publications.
- L. Gutiérrez, M. Zuñiga, D. Lum. (2004). Educating Students for Multicultural Practice. Alexandria VA; CSWE Press.
- L. Gutiérrez (2004). Participatory and Stakeholder Research. E. Freeman, Encyclopedia of Social Work:, Supplement. Washington D. C.:NASW Press.
- Mowbray, C., Gutiérrez, L., Bellamy, C., Szilvagyi, S., Strauss, C. (2003) Replication of a Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program: A Case Study Analysis of Supported Education. Journal of Community Psychology, 31 (5). 437-457.
- L. Gutiérrez (2001). Multicultural Organizational Development. In. L. Dominelli, W. Lorenz, H. Soydan (Eds). Beyond Racial Divides Ethnicities in Social Work Practice. Aldershot: Ashgate Press.
- A. Rosegrant Alvarez, L. Gutiérrez (2001) Choosing to do participatory research: An example and issues of fit to consider. Journal of Community Practice. 9 (1): 1-20, 2001.
- L. Gutiérrez, J. Kruzich, T. Jones & N. Coronado (2001). Identifying goals and outcome measures for diversity training: A multi-dimensional framework for decision-makers. Administration in Social Work. 24 (3), 53 - 62
- L. Gutiérrez, A. Yeakley, R. Ortega (2000). Educating students for social work with Latinos: Issues for the new millennium. Journal of Social Work Education. 36 (3): 541-557.
- L. Gutiérrez, H. Oh & M. Gillmore (2000). Toward an understanding of (Em)Power(Ment) for HIV/AIDS Prevention with Adolescent Women. Sex Roles. Vol 42 (7-8), 581-611.
- B. Nagda & L. Gutiérrez (2000). A praxis and research agenda for multicultural human service organizations. International Journal of Social Welfare L. Gutiérrez & A. Rosegrant Alvarez (2000). Educating Students for Multicultural Community Practice. Journal of Community Practice, 7 (1): 39-56, 2000.
- L. Gutiérrez & E. Lewis (1999) Empowering Women of Color. New York: Columbia University Press.