Home
For Parents
Participation questions
Sign up to participate
Directions and contact info
Newsletter
Our Research
Current studies
Research team
Publications

Participation questions

What will my infant do?

A typical study will involve your baby watching a short sequence of actions while sitting on your lap. Using a computer program, we will measure how long your infant looks at the various events. We will then use their looking time as a measure of their interest in the event to determine what they think is old and familiar versus new and unusual. This will help us understand what infants think about peoples' intentions, actions, and emotions.

What will my preschooler do?

Studies for older toddlers and preschoolers are usually more interactive. This may include playing short games and reading stories with our researchers to determine how much children understand about other people's wants, wishes, actions, and beliefs.

Are there risks to participating in these studies?
There are no risks to your child in participating. Sometimes infants who participate get fussy or distressed because they are bored. If we feel that your baby is fussy we will take a break, or if they are distressed we will end the study. In addition, you will be with your infant, so if you feel he or she is too fussy or distressed you may stop the procedures at any time.

Can I bring my other children?
YES. We have a playroom where your other children can stay and play with one of our researchers while you and your infant are in the study room.

Will I receive any compensation?
YES. You will receive $10.00 to cover your travel expenses for coming to our office. Additionally, we will provide you with a parking permit for the duration of the study.

How long will the study take?
Most of our studies last about 10-15 minutes, but we normally schedule appointments for 30 minutes. This allows us enough time to fill out paperwork and gives your child time to warm-up before the study.

How can I find out about the results of the study?
Once a year, we mail out an updated newsletter, as well as post the latest version here on our website. The newsletter will include group results, not individual results, explaining our findings and progress on our studies.