Students at the University of Michigan have the ability to take and transfer courses from other institutions to UM. This can provide a valuable experience and allow students the privilege of taking courses over summer terms or for courses which may not be offered at UM. These guidelines are also to be used for out-of-residence study abroad credit.
Credit can transfer to the University of Michigan one of two ways:
- As a specific course (e.g., Psych 270) - Do not need approval, or
- As Department Credit - Need Approval
Transferring credits to the College of LSA:
- Check the Transfer Equivalencies Website: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/transfer
- Select Transfer Credit Equivalencies>Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables
- Choose your host institution by highlighting the state and institution.
- Enter the subject (PSYCH, STATS, etc) in the UM Dept/Subject category.
- Determine how the desired courses will transfer.
- If they transfer as a specific course, no approval is needed.
- If they transfer as Departmental Credit, you will need approval from the department to use the course to meet a specific requirement.
- If the course is not listed (or if the institution is not listed), this means no other UM student has transferred the course. In this case, you will need to get approval from the UM Admissions/Credit Evaluations Office by filling out a form and submitting it online (http://www.lsa.umich.edu/transfer>Transfer Credit Equivalencies>FOR STUDENTS Transfer Credit Equivalency Request Form)
- After completing the course, have the institution send the official transcript to UM Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 515 East Jefferson Street, 1220 Student Activities Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316.
- The Credit Evaluations Office will post your credit to your UM transcript within 6 weeks of receiving the transcript.
*If transferring credits within the University of Michigan system (aka, from UM-Dearborn or UM-Flint), your grades and honor points will also transfer.
- Up to 60 credits can be transferred.
- After you have 60 credits at UM, you can only transfer from 4-yr institutions.
- 30 of your last 60 credits must be at UM-Ann Arbor.
- You must earn a C or better for courses to transfer (with the exception of UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint courses—all grades transfer from those two institutions).
Approval from the Psychology Department
(for courses that transfer as Departmental credit)
- Before taking the course, obtain a syllabus and course description from the class and give it to an advisor in Psych one of the following ways:
- e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- drop it off in the Student Academic Affairs Office (1343 EH)
- make an appointment with an advisor
- The advisor will preliminarily evaluate the course for you to determine if it can count (and how it could count) toward your major.
- Upon successful completion of the course, make an appointment with your advisor to complete the exception process (after the credit is posted to your UM transcript).
*Courses that come in as specific courses at UM do not need approval from a Psychology advisor.
*Courses must transfer first to the College
Psychology Department Regulations
- Of all Psych requirements, including pre-requisites, 24 credits must be taken in the Psychology Department at UM-Ann Arbor (in-house).
- 12 of those in-house credits must be upper level (300+) courses in Psychology.
AP Credit in Psychology
A score of 4 or 5 on the Psychology Advanced Placement Examination will give you credit for Psychology 111 (Introduction to Psychology). Have your high school or testing agency send your score to the UM Admissions Office.