Honors Program

The Honors Program allows advanced students to collaborate directly with a faculty mentor to complete an original research project. Results from honors projects have been reported in scientific journals and presented at professional conferences. The honors research program includes two terms of independent study courses with the mentor, culminating in a written thesis report and a poster presentation. Successful program participants are awarded an honors designation at graduation (B.A. or B.S. degree “with honors”). 

For students with strong academic records and an interest in research, the honors program can serve as a capstone for their undergraduate studies, and as important preparation for graduate studies.

HONORS INFORMATIONAL SESSIONS

Fall 2014 term

Thursday, September 25th in 3021 EH from 2:30-3:30pm

Monday, October 27th in EH B247 from 10-11am

Friday, November 21st in EH B247 from 12-1pm 

What Do Psych Honors Graduates Say?

Class of 2014

"I learned a lot about research and my own enjoyment and competence for different parts of the research process. I developed more knowledge and skills about my topic and how to conduct an independent research project. I would definitely recommend an honors thesis to others, especially if they plan to do research after graduation."

"This was a wonderful experience. I formed a great relationship with my mentor and this experience will definitely help me as I continue research during medical school next year."

"I learned a great deal about research and feel better prepared to apply for graduate school in the Fall!"

Class of 2013

"The professors within the Psychology Department are absolutely amazing. Not only are they world renowned leaders in their field, but they are willing to be more than just professors. They are willing to mentor students and help them to achieve their future goals by providing individual attention and advice to those that seek it out. If you are seriously interested in having a future career in psychology, the University of Michigan Psychology Department is one of the best in the world to help you do that."

"Provides you with a novel learning experience that goes far beyond the classroom environment." 

Class of 2012

"The best part about the Honors experience was becoming a member of a research team, and experiencing the camaraderie and teamwork that make the University of Michigan Department of Psychology great. I would highly recommend this experience to others!"

"I would definitely recommend this process. It was amazing to start a research project from the beginning and see it all the way through."

"You will never have quite the same experience of autonomous and simultaneously well-guided learning that is challenging like you do with the Psych Honors Program."

LSA Honors Program

Once admitted to the Psychology Department's honors program, you are admitted to the LSA Honors Program, located in 1330 Mason Hall. They maintain official student files, provide individual general advising*, and offer special opportunities and programs available only to honors students.
(*RC Honors students still receive general advising from RC Advisors)

Honors Graduation

Steps to Graduate

In order to graduate, you must do the following:

1. Meet with the Honors Academic Advisor the term before you plan to graduate to have your major release completed (Sept/Oct for Winter term grads and Mar/Apr for Summer and Fall term grads). Be aware appointments fill up to 3 weeks in advance. 
2. Apply for Graduation through Wolverine Access.

Psychology Commencement

The Psychology Department hosts a Commencement Ceremony for all Psychology Department majors before the main University Commencement Ceremony in April/May. We strongly encourage our graduating Honors Students to attend this event to be recognized for all their hard work. Students are individually named and walk across the stage. Graduates wear their cap, gown and honors cords for this event.

LSA Honors Commencement

Honors students are also invited to participate in the LSA Honors Commencement Ceremony. 
LSA Honors Graduation Information

Program in Neuroscience Honors

The Program in Neuroscience manages and advises all Neuroscience Honors projects.