Aeryn Nini, RC 2010, Secondary Education, History, Spanish

aeryn nini

After two wonderful years in the RC, I decided to transfer to U of M's School of Education in order to focus more on my teacher education studies. I graduated from the School of Ed in December 2010 and then moved back to my hometown of Dearborn, MI and started substitute teaching full time in schools throughout Wayne County, Michigan. During the summer I worked as a direct care support staff to a 24 year old man with Autism, and also waitressed at Olga's Kitchen in Detroit. I moved to downtown Detroit in summer 2011 and continued to substitute teach full time through 2012. While applying to grad schools in early 2012, I was given an AmeriCorps job offer in Austin, Texas (where I had been dreaming of living for many years). I accepted, and in August 2012 I packed up my little Honda Civic, and my pug and I made the three day road trip down to Austin. Living in Austin has been everything I hoped it would be and more. I love living in the city, I love my AmeriCorps position, and my coworkers have become like family. I work as a college coach at College Forward, a nonprofit organization that provides college access and completion services to motivated, economically disadvantaged high schoolers who will be the first in their family to go to college. The RC definitely gave me a strong, well-rounded foundation that has been an invaluable source of inspiration and strength in my work as a teacher and counselor. As for what the future holds, I am currently applying to graduate school again with my sights set on entering the Master of Social Work program at Texas State University in fall 2013. After earning my MSW, I plan on becoming an LCSW, and working in direct practice as a mental health counselor here in Austin. I would like to thank everyone in the RC who impacted my life and education so deeply, especially Hank Greenspan, Olga Lopez-Cotin, and Cristhian Espinoza-Pino.

Send Aeryn an email