Shauna Russell, RC 2010, Linguistics (with Distinction)

Shauna Russell

Hello!

I graduated in the Winter of 2010, BA Linguistics (Applied Linguistics/Second Language Studies), with Distinction. I just finished my second year teaching Kindergarten in a Title I Nashville school in a blended classroom of general/exceptional ed and English language learners/English speakers. This fall I will be founding a school as a lead teacher for a new school opening in North Nashville. One of my favorite memories so far is the last day of school this year. Working on our "Big Goal"--college!--was a theme in my classroom this year, so my father (also a U of M grad) bought my students college t-shirts as an end of the year gift. The last day of school we had a graduation ceremony: students decorated their own mortarboards, (e.g. Spongebob, Dora, etc), and sang "Hail to the Victors" in several languages.

Between translation and parent outreach, analyzing students' language development, and collaborating across cultures, generations, and more, I use my degree every day. I am truly proud to be an RC Wolverine!