Susan Naimark, RC 1976, Urban & Community Studies

After a few decades working in nonprofit community development and being involved in public school organizing on the side, I recently published The Education of a White Parent: Wrestling with Race and Opportunity in the Boston Public Schools.  This book is a memoir, starting in the suburbs of Detroit, and connecting my 20+ years of personal experience as a parent, parent organizer, and big city school board member to national trends in public education. The focus is on my learning curve about racism and the roles and responsibilities of white people in supporting educational success for all children. Last year, I left a job as Director of National Community Building & Organizing Programs at NeighborWorks America to finish the book and launch my own consulting business. Check out the radio interview I did earlier this fall on Radio Boston - WBUR, the Boston NPR station, or visit my website for more information about me, my work and the new book. I am available for book talks and training, and would love to connect to other RC alumni.