How do I apply to be in the Residential College?
Admission to the Residential College is available to anyone who has been accepted by the University of Michigan’s College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA). There is no separate application, essay or competition required to be in the RC. All that is required is your interest and passion for an invigorating liberal arts experience.
Each fall we confirm a maximum of 300 students from our pool of LSA admitted students, with the majority being first year students and a few transfer students with 40 or less transfer credits.
Since the Residential College is part of the College of Literature, Science and Arts (LSA) you can indicate your interest in the RC program when you complete the COMMON APPLICATION and the supplement for the University of Michigan on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website. At that time, select the Residential College (LSA) under the LSA. If you have already submitted your application to the U of M, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about joining the RC.
- If you indicated the RC on your application, you will be contacted in writing by the RC admissions staff within 3 weeks after you are officially admitted by the U of M.
- After being admitted, please read the RC admission letter, review the enclosed information & website to make certain you are still interested, and reply promptly via the link contained in the RC admission letter.
- In the early Spring, students are confirmed for the RC based on when they replied and when they matriculated (payment of the U of M enrollment deposit). Note May 1 deadline.
- After you are confirmed by the RC you will be contacted by the U of M Housing Office (HIO) and U of M Orientation (ONSP) in the spring. You must complete HIO and ONSP online application forms in a timely manner and make the appropriate selections to ensure the correct housing and orientation placement that coordinates with the Residential College program.
- Finally, during the summer, you will attend an RC orientation session, receive advising and register for all of your U of M classes.
If you have any questions, please contact Lana Kanitz, RC Admissions Coordinator, at email@example.com or call (734) 647-4361.