Purpose of the Fund
Undesignated gifts are very important to the continued success and growth of the Department. Donations to the Department Strategic Fund are key to RLL being able to assist faculty and students.
Our students use the scholarships, fellowships, grants, and stipends, that you continue to make possible, to do a variety of activities that improve their language skills and cultural understanding: internships in France, Spain, Latin America, or Italy; work with Human Rights Watch in Francophone Africa; research in Romance language speaking countries; indeed conduct research that leads to winning a Mellon Summer Dissertation Award or a Fulbright.
Donations would also allow us to:
- Host a biannual conference featuring scholarship in the Department. This will enable us to maintain the national and international visibility of our distinguished academic work ($40,000 per conference)
- Maintain a regular program of visiting scholars and writers that will enrich the intellectual climate of the Department for students and faculty alike ($15,000 per visitor)
- Offer a research grant to a faculty member or to a student for travel to archives or for research expenses ($5,000 each)
- Offer a travel grant to enable an undergraduate student to attend an international conference; there are currently few other sources of funding available to undergraduates for this kind of travel ($1,000 each)
- Offer more stipends to undergraduates doing internships abroad ($1,000 each)
- Supplement recruitment and retention offers so that we can continue to build and maintain the excellence of our faculty
- Better support student activities outside of the classroom and our very active student clubs