If you are qualified, you may be admitted to a program of advanced study in the beginning or middle of your junior year (or at the beginning of your senior year following participation in a junior year study-abroad program), leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts with Honors in French.
Admission to senior-level Honors work in French is by application only.
Prerequisites to entering RLL's honors major in French
- Demonstrated superior ability in both oral and written French, and to present evidence of serious interest in research
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and a French Major GPA of 3.5 are required for admission and for graduation with Honors in French
Requirements in the program
- Normal concentration requirements in French must be completed
- Three additional credits in French and Francophone Studies at the level of 300 or above
- Composition of a thesis, in French, incorporating the results of individual research, the minimum length being 30 pages
- Enroll in ROMLANG 498 or French 491 (if RomLang 498 is not offered) in the fall term of their senior year: this course counts as 3 credits toward the completion of the major at the 300-level or higher
- Enroll in FRENCH 492 in the winter term of their senior year: this course counts as 3 credits toward the completion of the major at the 300-level or higher
- A presentation and discussion of your thesis and of an agreed-upon set of related readings with members of the faculty (Thesis defense)
If you wish to participate, you should contact Linda Burger, email@example.com for the contact information of the current Honors advisor in French and fill out an application form. Upon successful completion, your faculty advisor will send a report to the Honors program with your thesis title and a recommendation of honors, high honors or highest honors in French.
Not what you're looking for? Return to the French Major page.
- Advising Appointments
- Majors and Minors
- Course Information
- Language Placement
- Language Clubs
- Study Abroad
- Summer Language Institute